Aug 16, 2006

NFL Team Predictions

OK, time to post predictions for NFL teams.

Every team in the NFL has a similar schedule:

a) 6 games within the team's division
b) 4 games vs. another division in the same conference
c) 4 games vs. another division in the other conference
d) 2 games vs. team in the same conference based on last year's record; a team that finished in first (like Cincy) would play two division winners (NE and IND), while a team that finished 3rd (Bal) would play two teams who finished 3rd (Buf and Ten).

So, let's look at the Browns' schedule. Please note, this assumes that we will have a center on opening day. We now have lost 3 centers for various reasons (season-ending injury, retirement, and now drug charges), so this assumption may not be valid on Sept 10th.

a) Division games: Last year, we were 1-5. I do believe that we have grown enough to get 2 wins in the division this year. I see a win vs Bal at home and a win vs. Cincy (either away or at home). Even with my rose-colored glasses, I don't see a Pit win in store for us this season.

b) 4 games vs. division in the AFC: The AFC West.
The Browns got screwed here, playing the weaker teams on the road and the tougher teams at home:
@ Oak, @ SD
h KC, h Den
I think that they will beat Oakland (Charlie beat them last year at Oakland), and will have a chance at beating San Diego (I'm not sold on Phillip rivers) and may steal a home game vs. Den or KC.

I'll give them two wins here. 2-2.

c) 4 games vs. division in the other conference: The NFC South.
Browns get:
h NO, h TB
@ Atl, @ Car

I like what New Orleans is doing and think that they could be a force down the line, and I'm glad I'm playing Reggie Bush now instead of 2 years from now when he blossoms. I'm glad we get them in the opener before they start to jell. Let's just say if that the Browns lose on Sept 10th, I will be massively depressed.

Can we get another win? I have no illusions about Carolina; the early line on that game is probably Car -12 1/2. I do think we have a decent shot at an overrated Atlanta team - we do fairly well stopping the run, and Atlanta can't pass with Vick. Barring a Matt Schaub appearance, I say we steal this one.

2-2 here.

4) Conference games vs "like" teams:
h NYJ
@ Hou

Well, we certainly should beat the Jets at home. But 2006 could shape up like 2005, in terms of inferior opponents for teh Browns. The Jets' schedule :
@ Ten, NE, @Buf, Ind, @ Jax, Mia, Det.....
they could go 0-7 for that stretch.
And then they come to Cleveland.
Last year, of course, the Texans went 0-6 until they played... the Browns. And the texans won an UGLY game for their first win.

Could history repeat itself? It could, but I say no. We win that one in a squeaker, 13-9.

And we go to Houston for the last game of the season and win that, too.

2-0 for these games.

Where did we end up?
2-4
2-2
2-2
2-0

ends us up with an overall record of 8-8 for the Browns.

3 comments:

dzahn07 said...

"You look fine, you look great"

Don said...

I'll be just thrilled with 8-8. That would be over achieving for us this year, especially given our situation at Center (I'm teaching my dog how to hike the ball right now, 'cause somebody has to do it).

Overall, the Browns are moving in the right direction, but it will take time given the complete draft day incompetance of the Palmer and Davis eras. The main issue is that there is no depth at any position. When the main guy goes down, the well is pretty dry.

skeetskeet11 said...

Can I bet my house on the under?