Apr 19, 2006

Sports Blogging

My God - an actual post about the current events in sports today!

First, how about some Cleveland love!

1) Really like how the Tribe is playing right now. At the moment, now leading 6-3 over the O's. We are 9-5, with Byrd nowhere close to his potential, Westbrook being a bit inconsistent, Sabathia on the DL, and the bullpen a minor disappointment. The offense is picking up where it left off; only Peralta would be someone who is even close to underperforming.

I can't stress enough how big that opening series win was vs. the Sox; it gives the team confidence that they can take on the White Sox and win.

(Update: scratch that about the O's: now down 13-8. My bullpen comment was a little prescient, I guess.

1a) Flashback for the Tribe: here is an link to a site that has the audio from the last 4 innings of baseball's biggest comeback ever, the Indians' 15-14 win over Seattle from August, 2001. The Tribe was down 14-2 going into the bottom of the 7th.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=34817 , and click on "watch this movie".

2) Yes, I am excited about the Cavs in the NBA playoffs - first time since 1998! (And no, I don't remember who they played that year. Was Mike Fratello the coach? 10 points for anyone who can come up with an answer to "Who were the Cavs' last playoff opponent?", without looking.) I expect LeBron to shine, Hughes to provide some key points and help in certain stretches, and Z to clog the middle and be a ball hog.

Has it been determined that they are playing the Wizards yet? God, this is a loooooong last 2 weeks of the season. When does the first playoff games start? Sunday? Friday? Anybody know?

Bottom line - I expect the Cavs to win in 6 games or so against any of the first-round possible opponents; however, they will then be lucky to win 1 game vs. the Pistons.

Derek will, of course, put in some comment about me being a fair weather Cavs fan. So? I can admit that. Although not many so-called "fair weather" fans would know who Randy Wittman is.

3) Give me an "N"!
Give me a "G"!
Give me an "A"!
Give me a "T"!
Give me an "A"!

What does that spell?

NGATA!

Draft day is only 10 days away. I'm not married to Haloti Ngata; I'd be happy with any of these picks at #12:

Ngata, DE, Oregon
Justice, OL, USC
Wembley, DE/LB, Fla St
Sims, LB, Fla St
Bunkley, DE, Fla St

This, of course, assumes studs like A J Hawk, D'Brick, and the three QBs are gone. One mock draft had A J Hawk (LB, Ohio St), falling to #11; if that happens, expect a Browns trade up to get him.

3a) The Browns' schedule was released; the first four games are:
home vs New Orleans
at Cincinnati (see below)
home vs Baltimore
at Oakland

I think any neutral observer would see that there is a possibility of a 4-0 start in there. Derek, Mr. Anti-Brown, would say we're headed for a 1-3 start, since Aaron Brooks is obviously an upgrade over Kerry Collins (a QB that Derek somehow always really liked), and this, again, is Boller's breakout year. But Derek is hardly neutral.

4) News item: the Bengals have signed QB Anthony Wright to a 1-year contract. This is for insurance for Carson Palmer and gives the Bengals a QB that has some experience in starting games if/when Carson can't go to start the season.
As Jerry said to George in one episode: "Good luck with that..."

5) What is the NHL's plan for televising the playoffs? Are there going to be games on OLN every night? Any other station carrying games? This is the best time of year for watching hockey. I don't know anyone on any team, but I will stay up and watch overtime playoff hockey. Anyone out there know how the playoffs will be covered on TV? Or does anyone care?

5a) San Jose vs Nashville. An arena league regular season game, or a first-round Stanley Cup matchup? I report, you decide.

6) I grew up in the era of classic TV jingles - the late 70s and 80s. It hit me today that one of the more recognizable jingles out there now is for FreeCreditReport.com. And this is on ESPN! God, what has happened to the jingle?

7) Freddie note: At the ice cream place last night, he had a strawberry soft serve cone dipped in.... green lemon-lime hard shell coating. It was like eating a frozen Kermit the Frog cone. It tasted God-awful, but Freddie ate it all.
(He also asked if he could dip his pineapple in mashed potatoes, ranch vegetable dip, and barbeque sauce all in the same bite. Um... .go for it! )
Ah, the appetite of 5-year-olds.

It's now Baltimore 18, Cleveland 9 in the 9th. Ugly.

1 comment:

Other Brad said...

1. The Gooch is alive in your post. Nice Job!

2. I believe the playoffs beginning on Saturday and don't discount the Wiz. They are the only NBA team to beat the pistons twice (although last nights win was against their 8th string and 2 fans).

3. I am not excited about the draft. OK, I do want to know what the Ravens plans are since they never tell their fans anything.
Looks like we will possibly go O-Line, which I think sucks. Personally, I really believe it is rare that you will get an impact O-lineman in the 1st round of the draft.

3a-4. I still see Cincinatti as a lose for the Browns (and the Ravens)..backup or starting QB.

5-5a. Who cares? Aren't they on strike.

6. No comment.

7. Add some old bay to the pineapple-mash potato recipe and you have my lunch for today.