Apr 24, 2006

Random Musings

1) Golf update: How do your shoulders feel, Don? The tournament season kicked off on Saturday with a 2-man scramble at one of the county courses. 28 teams entered; the top 6 finished in the money.
We "ham-and-egg"'d it very well on the front and finally got a birdie on the par-5 9th to make the turn in 34, -1. I hit 3 wood, wedge to 6 feet on 10 and Don cashed it for another birdie.

That was it for me for a while. Don carried us on 11 and 13 (he made a great 30 footer for par) to keep us at -2; he then single-handedly birdied 14 (Don - driver, wedge, putt) and 15 (driver, 4-iron, putt); we had a bad approach to the par 5 16th, but I curled in a 30 footer for another birdie.

We had a tricky but makeable 8 footer for birdie on 17 that we missed; Don carried us on the long par-4 18th for a par. 5 under 65. It was good enough for 3rd place.

A good warmup for the City 2-man championship starting next Monday. I just need to get my driver and irons back together again. Full coverage can be found at www.gcga.org.

2) You know that feeling late in the evening - you are driving home after golf league, starving - and you know there are two pieces of leftover pan pizza in the fridge? Mmmmm-- you can just taste that warmed-up pizza in your mouth as you drive.....

And then you get home and the pizza box is open on the table - empty. "Oh", says your lovely wife, "I was home for lunch and I had the pizza for lunch. Sorry."

That's true disappointment.

3) Am I supposed to find Dane Cook hilarious? He's on the comedy station on Sirius a lot - I mean, he's a little funny, but people talk about him like he's Eddie Murphy circa 1983.

Maybe I shouldn't judge comedians. Every time I'm flipping around channels and the "Andy Milonakis Show" is on, I always stop and I never fail to laugh.

4) How does Jon Lovitz get a new gig on commercials for Subway? Is there a 60-year-old Ad Exec that thinks: "hey, I've got a perfect spokesman! Jon Lovitz! All the kids love him! 'That's the ticket'- hilarious!". Or is Lovitz's stock so low that his agent is begging for jobs?

5) Big game tonight for the Cavs to avoid a letdown. It's nice to come out on fire in game 1, but we've got to followup in tonight's game with a good performance. I haven't followed the Cavs this closely in the playoffs since college - the good old days with Larry Nance, Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, etc. We used to plan our nights around Cavs playoff games. I'm almost at that point now.

6) This is just blasphemy. Period. I tell you one thing - Freddie and Warren will grow up knowing the 4 big American railroads are Reading, Pennsylvania, B&O, and Short Line.

2 comments:

Other Brad said...

1. Golf: Don, if you want to do all the work, I'll be a great partner for you (I think my 20 handicap is just what the doctor ordered.)

2. I usually am the cause for that feeling with my wife when it comes to ice cream. Just to get at her, I will leave it with just that bit of ice cream frosting on the lid.

3. Honestly, Dane Cook is funny (hilarious at times maybe). But he is a comedian that needs the visual. He is very animated and I couldn't see him succeeding on radio. He's not Eddie Murphy, I used to listen to tapes of him as a kid and laughed without the visual. Dane Cook is closer to a Jim Carrey. He also bombed on the MTV Movie Awards.

5. 30+ effort from Arenas, GO WIZ!

dzahn07 said...

1. What will start wars with me? Eating my leftovers and removing shit off the Tivo. I think if you wanted to divorce her on those grounds, I think you could get ownership of the house and kids from any male judge.
2. And Dane Cook is that good.