Apr 20, 2006

Happy "74" Day to Everyone!

Today, April 20, is the 16th anniversary of one of the most important rounds of golf in my life. On April 20, 1990, this 18-year old freshman shot a 74 in the 2nd round at the UAA Championships to make all-conference 2nd team. I consider this round to be the beginning of my modern golf career.

To understand how important that round was, you have to have the perspective. At that time, I had never broken 80 in any round. I even had a hole-in-one in a round to help me shoot at 81, but I never broke the magical 80 barrier.

For those who played in 1990, golf equipment was light years behind what it is now. I played with a Spalding Executive set of clubs; my woods were actual woods. I hit my 3-wood off the tee (couldn't control my driver) about 210-215 yards. 420 yard par 4's were beyond my reach.

Our college team received a brand new sleeve of Ram Tour Golf balls before each round. They could be charitably described as "adequate".

The tournament was held at Marshfield CC in Marshfield, MA. I shot an 88 in round 1 and found myself in 19th (or so) place out of 30 golfers. Somehow, all sorts of things clicked together in the 2nd round. I thinned an 8 iron from 130 or so (uphill) on 1 that finished 2 feet from the hole; before I knew what was happening, I strung enough pars together with a few bogeys to make the turn at 2-over 37. After a birdie on 11, a disastrous double on 12 and a 30-footer for birdie on 13, I still was at 2 over with 5 to play.

Being extremely nervous at this point, (the term "crapping my pants" comes to mind), I got home with two more bogies and 3 pars to finish with a 4-over 74. It was the best round of the tournament by any golfer, and vaulted me to 8th place. The 8th place finish gave me all-conference 2nd team honors; I still have the certificate from the UAA for that year.

Yes, it was a 6100 yard course; yes, we played the white tees, and others who played in that tournament (Steve) called the course "an unmitigated dump", and yes, it is the UAA, one of the least athletic conferences in Division III. But a 74 is a 74, and for someone who had not broke 80 before, it was a monumental round that will always be remembered. The round vaulted my confidence and was proof that I could compete at the D-III level.

Once I arrived back to the dorm that night, I checked my fridge to see how I could celebrate with my roommates; all I had was a 6-pack of Hamm's Light, some A&W cream soda and Bacardi. Well, this occasion was too big for beer, so the "74" was born - the "74" is a mix of cream soda and Bacardi.

Enjoy a "74" with your friends today. I sure will.

No comments: