May 3, 2007

Sports Data Dump


It's been a while, and I have a lot of thoughts in my head. Let's get started.


NBA: Just a couple of thoughts.

First, go go Cavs! It's a shame that I've only watched a total of 5 minutes of the Wizards series - thanks to 2 games being on NBA TV. What the hell was that? To recap - since you may have forgotten - we finished our series on Monday, April 30. If Toronto/New Jersey goes 7, Game 7 will be played Sunday, meaning the Cavs will play again on either Tuesday or Wednesday, May 8/9. That's at least 8 idle days. Unbelieveable.


But I'm not complaining, since we could use the rest to make sure LeBron's ankle is completely healed. How good is this team? Not sure yet - but I know previous versions of the LeBron-led Cavs would have lost one road game in Washington.


The other story, of course, is the Warriors. This team hasn't made the playoffs since 1994. How crazy is that? 1994....think....what were my priorities then?

- the 99 cent Whopper at teh BK by my grad office

- $15 rounds at Punderson

- "Black Label" beer

- Dinners consisting of On-Cor Dinners and Pet Ritz pies.

- Beavis and Butthead and Gin in Steve's basement 4 nights a week.

(Side story: things that aren't gay but would appear gay to 99% of the rest of the population: Steve and I going up and down the aisle in the Finast grocery store at 10:30 at night looking for Vienetta. I'm sure if others saw us.... )

Anyway, good luck to the Warriors.


MLB:

I can't be happier about the Tribe. Currently at 16-8 and leading the Central by 2 games. And I think we can be playing better. Yes, Victor is on fire, and Garko is a great surprise, but Pronk is still not hot yet and Trot Nixon could do better. The started (except for C. C. and Carmona) could improve too.

I read an article somewhere which called the Tribe "probably the most solid bullpen in baseball".

Well, let's just say that if watching Aaron Fultz and Roberto Hernandex blow 6-5 leads is "solid", then Johnny from "Johnny and the Sprites" has a girlfriend.

Hello? Is this thing on? Yes, I expected only one or two of you to get that.

(By the way, what about Joe from Blue's Clues? Gay or Straight, or asexual like Morrissey and Big Bird? Discuss....)

And I am finding myself watching the scoreboard to see how the other AL Central teams are doing. It's May - why am I doing this? Too early? I don't think so, not with 4 teams in the race. I think I'm most scared of Minnesota....then Detroit.

Three other quickies:

- Gil Meche is 3-1 for the Royals, with an ERA under 2.5. Not a lot of criticism now, huh?
- Can Milwaukee keep it up? Why not? Who is going to challenge them in the NL?
- I haven't got a chance to blog much about the protest filed by the Indians that was denied - but mark my words, something is going to happen in MLB in the next 10 years that will have the commissioner rue the day this decision was made. You can't retroactively add runs to the score. Period.

NFL:

I think I've said enough about the draft - I am ecstatic about Thomas and Quinn on this team. However, I'm still worried about Romeo leading this team. Let's not forget how he handled rookies last year:

- Don's boyfriend, Kamerion Wimbley, did not start in week 1 last year

- Even though LB was a weakness ealry in the season, D'Quell did not start either in week 1.

- Need I remind anyone how Travis Wilson, our WR, was treated? Dennis Northcutt played and started over Wilson. Wilson finally got some playing time in week 15!

Forget about Quinn - what evidence do we have that Joe Thomas will start week 1? can you imagine the uproar if he's not out there for the first play vs. Pittsburgh?

And the Tribe wins again, 6-5 over Toronto. 17-8 record. 10 out of their last 11. Borowski with save #10.



3 comments:

Schillzilla said...

Watching some of the warriors mavs game right now and Baron Davis is out of his tree. If he made those shots against me in NBA Live I'd hit the reset button.

Eric, its NEVER too early to check scores in your division. I'm not sold on the Tribe pen. Borowski seems like a breakdown waiting to happen. Meanwhile in the sox pen, Okajima is on fumes, Papelbon needed two nights off after the abortion Tuesday against Oakland (velocity at 92-93 not the 96-97 he has been packing normally). Not a good sign. Oh, and DiceK's ERA is over 9.00 in his last few starts. WTF.

Eric Z said...

This GS game is soemthing else, huh? Wow wow wow wow.

laurad said...

Not sure about the Blues Clues guy. I was sure that all of the Wiggles were gay until I found out that they're all happily married with kids. ?? It's hard to tell sometimes with the children's entertainment crew.

As an aside, have you ever seen Death to Smoochie? It's a really funny and super-warped take on the adults that star in those kids shows. Higly recommended.