May 16, 2007

Ramblings to remove Carly Simon from the front page

Since Eric has lost it, I guess I should post something. What has happened to him? Anyway onto a couple of quick comments:

1. Another Athletic on the DL. This time Huston Street. Ugh. Bad time for this as our bullpen has fallen on bad times. Last night we blew a 3 run lead to the Royals. Thank God we pulled it out in extra innings or I would of killed one of the cats.

2. Suns-Spurs- Why is everyone up in arms over the suspensions in this game? Seems OK to me. There is a rule and they enforced it. Blame Amare and Diaw for the suspensions, not the league. This isn't a new rule. Everyone please just shut up about this and lets move on.

3. Rev Jerry Falwell is dead. OK. Let's move on. He is everything that is right and wrong about this country. I don't agree with what he says all the time, but at least he stands for what he believes in. Reading some of the comments from the Republican candidates about his death were very blah. But it was strange that the most genuine comment came from one of his biggest enemies, Larry Flint:
"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We
became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler
magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler
Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much
deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.
My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but
after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became
good friends. He would visit me in California and we would debate together
on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what
he was selling and he knew what I was selling. The most important result of
our relationship was the landmark decision from the Supreme Court that made
parody protected speech, and the fact that much of what we see on television and
hear on the radio today is a direct result of my having won that now famous case
which Falwell played such an important role in."


Very sincere. Why can't more people be like this?

1 comment:

neild said...

I don't really follow the NBA, but even I know the rule and the consequences for leaving the bench during an altercation.

It seems to me that in all this discussion about the rule being unfair and the league being blamed, the people who are getting a free pass on this is the Phoenix coaching staff.

This has, by all accounts, been a very tough and physical series and it was not a big surprise to anyone that something like this happened. The coaches should have been reminding the players at every opportunity that, no matter what, they could not leave the bench to get involved. If they didn't it's on them. If they did, then the blame falls entirely on the two players who have now let their team down.