May 5, 2007

Derby

Totally forgot to post about this. Consider this your Christmas gift:

1. Hardspin- Carol's sister Molly supplies shoes to one of the top farriors in the country who has shoed the winner of the Derby for the last 5 years. This is the only horse he is doing this year. I'm giddy.

2. Curlin- My coworker in Indy and VA, who are both decent handicappers stated that this horse will run away with it, but I can't remember the last time a favorite won the Derby.

3. High Heels- I know nothing about him, but I will lay some down on him.

2 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Well, not too bad. Brought $500 with me and left with $420. Subtract out $5 for program, $9 for parking, $25 for beer, $10 for food, and $20 bet for Carol's brother and it was a solid day. Carol came through on Race 8, I came through on race 9, and then we almost made a huge killing on the derby. $200 on Hard Spun to win. Ugh. So close.

And what happened to Any Given Saturday? Hmmmm...Looking in your direction Eric. Spent about $50 bucks on him. Oh Well.

Great day at Del Mar though. They have a separate section for off track betting that is bigger than most race tracks. Two separate outside seating areas with TVs, with relatively cheap beer ($5) and food ($2.50 dogs) makes this day trip something that Carol, Laurin, Brian, and I will do again for the Preakness.

Why haven't any other track tried to duplicate this type of atmosphere? The crowd was probably split between under 40 and over 40 which is a first at an off-track betting place.

RRD said...

I've always wondered why they haven't combined an OTB and a bowling alley.