Apr 3, 2007

Opening Day Wishes to all

Good luck to all of your teams out there. I mean it! I wish nothing but the best for all of us as we enter the 2007 season.

I regard the baseball regular season much like a USGA qualifier that I play in every year. For example, the US Mid Am Qualifier last year had 82 golfers for 5 spots. In the American League Qualifier for 2007, there are 15 "golfers" playing for 4 spots.

There's no ill will. Why can't the 4 spots be filled by Cleveland, Oakland, New York, or Boston?Or maybe the Indians, Royals, Orioles, and A's?

In these USGA qualifiers with multiple spots, I always wish the best for Don or Kermit or others that I play with. Hey, if they are taking the top 3 or 4 or 5 golfers, why can't it be us?

Now, if the qualifier was 35 golfers for 1 spot, I'd wish Don or Kermit the best of luck, but secretly hope he duck-hooks it out of bounds and makes triple on the first hole.

The first three months or so is the first 18 holes of the qualifier - no sense looking at the scoreboard; just play your game and (hopefully) keep piling up the wins. During the last 18 holes - August & September - that's the time for scorebaord watching and hoping the Tigers keep 3-putting greens.

Good luck to all.

(PS - please note; the above thoughts are my theory on how I should act. I'm sure I will have a big grin on my face when the Red Sox or Yanks gets swept by the Devil Rays in May. )

No comments: