Apr 25, 2007

Facing Reality


So it is looking more and more likely that around 12:30 on Saturday, we will find out that this person is the newest member of the Cleveland Browns.


And I'm OK with that. However, I think everyone should call Don on Saturday afternoon to make sure he hasn't committed suicide on the news. Don is certainly in a stage of denial at this point.


Frankly, I'd be happy with almost any pick in the top 5. Russell, Quinn, Peterson, or Thomas (and not necessarily in that order). I'd question a Johnson pick a little bit, seeing that we already have Braylon on the team.


The reason why I am OK with Quinn is that:

- we are not going to win the division in 2007

- we are going to compete in 2008 and win the division in 2009, and I see Savage building toward that.

- Who will be our quarterback for the division (and AFC?) champion Browns in 2009? That question is answered NOW, not in 08 or 09. Palmer was drafted in 03 to lead the Bengals in 05. Manning was drafted in 98 to lead the Colts in 2000 and later. Rivers was drafted in 04 to lead the Chargers in 06 and beyond. You draft a QB now for payout 2-3 years later. We need an answer now......and I can accept Quinn being the answer.


My only question is - who on the Browns will be his mentor? For better or worse, Tim Couch had Ty Detmer. Charlie Frye had Trent Dilfer. Who will be a mentor for Brady? Charlie? Well, he could teach him to run around in the backfield with his back turned to his offensive line......


But then again, you could argue the mentor is overrated. Look how good a mentor worked out for Couch and Frye!



2 comments:

Don said...

The Browns are not drafting Brady Quinn with the 3rd pick. Period. If they do, I'm rooting for the Pack.

I've got $20 to back that up (and I'll void the bet if he is taken #1 or #2).

Here is what happens if the Browns take Brady (and Savage knows this). The Browns start the season 1-3 (granted, even that is wishful thinking). Why? Because the O-line is still non-existent. Romeo starts to fear for his job and puts in Quinn. Quinn gets crushed and shell shocked. The Browns are back to no O-line and still no QB.

If Rex Grossman can get the Bears to the SB, Charlie or Derek can get us to a 0.500 season (yes, it has come to that, hoping for a 0.500 season).

My dream scenario on Saturday is to hear ...and with the 3rd pick the Browns trade DOWN.

PS any word on the announcement that Steinbach now has a staph infection?

jorge blogsada said...

Eric:

I wish you and your Browns good fortune. You really are a diehard. I mean as much I love watching the commercial for the new version of Madden and listening to the Bard of Baltimore wax rhapsodic about the closing speed of Latrell Watts, a 6'2 bulldog of a defensive end from Indiana State with a great motor, that will have NFL left tackles back-pedaling for years to come, I have to admit I haven't really paid attention to the draft since the Boys traded sideways to pick up Shante Carver, a positively bankrupt man's Tony Tolbert, if there ever was one. Best of luck my son.