Dec 7, 2006

Who wants a slice?


I'm still torn over this signing. I'm happy that its not a multi year contract, but I'm concerned that he will not be enough to replace Thomas. Floyd is next on the docket for us, but I'm sure TX and company will drive up the price. Spending $8.5 million on Piazza doesn't leave us with much room to go after Floyd.

But what I really like is the Embree signing. This allows Kennedy to move into the starting role again, moving Sarloos back into the bullpen which is always good. Harden (not going anywhere. Just a ploy by the Mets on Boras), Harren, Blanton, Loiaza, and Kennedy is pretty solid. This also gives us a really outstanding bullpen in Street, Duke, Calero, and Embree. Not bad at all.

Onto Thursday night football. What is the ploy here by the NFL? Why put these games on Thursday night on the dish. Is anyone watching? Is anyone buying the dish because of this? I want to see numbers, because I think this is a terrible move. The games really aren't that good. No offense, but Browns-Steelers isn't a big draw this year. The Bengals-Ravens- who cares really. Talking to my staff here, who are big football guys, they aren't making any moves to buy the dish over this. We just all stay at the office late to watch it on our TV that is hooked up to the dish network. Now start moving a group of games on Sunday and then I think you will get a bigger response. But just one game on a Thursday night probably isn't having the impact that they thought it would have. Agree? Disagree?

5 comments:

RRD said...

It was nice having the late game on Thanksgiving night.

I'm all for the games, and it gives me a chance to watch a game I wouldn't normally see. Seems like they are plucking the normal 4:00pm Sunday in DC game (Denver, Ravens, Steelers) that I'd shudder to watch, and making it marquee' on a Thursday night. Impressive ratings return? Hardly, but a bigger cumulative ratings windfall by placing a game in what used to be whitespace.

Eric Z said...

Welcome to the "my team had Alan Embree" club! Jay, Jon and I welcome you to this select but growing group of fans who have participated in the Alan Embree experience.

I distinclty remember him as an Indian in 92! My goodness, I am old. And, I think, he was moved from a starter (4 gamesin 92) to the bullpen in 93 because of the Olin/Wickander tragedy.

Since then, he's een a serviceable but not extraodinary - lefty out of the pen. He was always our 2nd lefty, below Paul "I always get Junior out" Assenmacher.

It's amazing how consistent his stats have been over the years.

If you know what you are getting, congrats!

Eric Z said...

Whoops! He disappeared in 93 and 94.... so scratch that tragedy comment.

Schillzilla said...

Not to pee on your parade, but lumping in Embree as part of an "outstanding bullpen" is like me saying Julio Lugo is part of the Red Sox "outstanding" infield. The last season pitching in the AL Embree was dreadful (05). He has one nice season pitching in AAAA...errr the NL, in pitcher friendly SD, and he is now a reliable setup guy? I promise you Athletics Nation will be bitching about him immensely by the middle of May.

dzahn07 said...

Thank you Jay. You are right. Horrible...just horrible. No getting around it.