Dec 23, 2006

Week 16: "Switcheroo"


I love this game - I wish they played it more on TPiR. Basically, it's like setting your fantasy football lineup. You have five prizes, one of which is a car, the other four being "consolation" gifts under $100. You need to correctly match the 4th digit of the car and the 1st digit of the remaining gifts with the 5 numbers you are given.

Whichever ones you match correctly with the actual prize, you win! It's kind of like Fantasy Football in the sense that you are given 2 or 3 choices to start at QB, RB, WR, etc. every week - and you've got to pick the best one out of the list to maximize your points and win.

Quick fantasy football update. What a year so far. I was in 3 leagues:
League #1: 9-4 regular season, winning the regular season on a tiebreaker and winning 50% of the pot ($500). Lost in 1st round of the playoffs.
League #2: 9-4 regular season, division champion, and playing in the championship game this week. I am the 2-time defending champion. My opponent is starting - get this - Derek Anderson.
League #3 - the church league - I finished up the regular season with 4 wins to finish at 7-6 with LdT as my star; I swept through the playoffs and won.

So- totals: 25-14, with at least one championship under my belt. Not bad.

Week 16 predictions:
KC 24, Oak 10. There are rumors - imagine this! - that Shell may be fired.
Buf 17, Ten 13. Off the bandwagon again.
NO 31, NYG 24. The NYG defense is not good. I thnk Brees and co will have their way.
Atl 23, Car 10. Has Carolina given up?
StL 17, Was 16. Low scoring, lots of rushing yards.
Ind 27, Hou 17. I'm not trying to figure out hte Colts anymore.
Pit 20, Bal 13. I'm buying into this "Steelers still have a shot" talk...
Cle 20, TB 10. And Derek Anderson is anointed the starter for 2007.
Chi 21, Det 13. Even if Chi rests their starters, I'm not scared of Kitna against the Bears.
Jax 24, NE 20. The Jekyll and Hyde Jags return.
SF 26, Az 13. The 9ers are on a roll.
Cin 23, Den 17. Hello - Cutler's first win last week was against Arizona. Here, they will play a real NFL defense, and Cutler will struggle.
Sea 20, SD 17. Somewhere soon, Marty will cost them a game. I believe this is it.
Dal 27, Phi 20. I'd love to see Philly win, but I just can't understand how.
Mia 22, NYJ 16. The Jets are WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! An overrated teamwith a gaudy record against sub 500 teams. The Cleveland rule applies here.

Picks:
Eric: Last week: 8-7-1; overall: 125-107-8
Derek: Last week: 11-5 (!): overall: 117-123-1.

16 best bets this week:
KC -7
Ten/Buf Under 37
NO +3
NO / NYG Over 47
Atl -6.5
Atl/Car Under 41
Was/Stl Under 43 1/2
Pit -3.5
Chi/Det Under 43
NE/Jax Over 36 1/2
SF -4
Az/SF Under 45 1/2
Cin +3
Sea +4.5
SD/Sea Under 46 1/2
Mia -2.5

2 comments:

Schillzilla said...

Eric, what is the reasoning on the over for NE/JAX? Just wondering. To me the 37 seems way too high. I'd be shocked if either team gets more than 20 offensive points. Defensive scores could push it over the number I suppose.

Also, the NYJ have really owned the fish over the last few years (can't remember the actual numbers, but they aren't pretty).

Lastly, I am not a believer in Cinci. It seems like every time they have a big statement game with a lot of hype they kind of fold up. Their offense is banged up, and the defense got a lot of hype entering the Colts game - but they didn't play any real good offenses duting that stretch (prior to the Colts gm). So I'm still a skeptic. I don't think they will find a way to get healthy in Denver, against Shanahan.

I only mention these things because I usually agree with most of your picks.

Merry Christmas! We'll see you next weekend.

Eric Z said...

Re the Jax/NE game:

Don't question Mr. Nibbles!