Dec 4, 2006

Smartest Man Alive

As the Winter Meetings start up I want to give props to one of the smartest men alive...Scott Boras.

Several weeks ago, when JD Drew opted out of his contract, Austin and myself were just laughing at how stupid Drew was for doing that. He was overpaid to begin with. The guy can't make it through 140 games without playing half of those with no energy at all. He should be happy just to be getting paid double digits each year.

Then we heard about Boston and how they might pay him $15 million a year. What???? I called Austin and we were just laughing. I wanted to call Jay and tell him this would be one of the worst moves to date if they signed Drew, especially if they thought that he is going to be able to replace Manny. To take a line from BSG, try asking a fan of the prior team on a player you are about to sign to see if it is a good move. The answer is clearly no. Unless you feel as if $15 million is a good move for someone who will probably play 120 games and hit 25 homers.

And this news came on the heels of trading Manny. Why do they want to trade Manny? Once again, this would be terrible for the Sox. Manny is one of the greatest hitters of our time and despite being somewhat of a liability in the outfield. He IS worth the $20 million you are paying him. Especially now, when Drew and Lee will get $15 million a year. Why is it that every year this comes out?

Now onto the A's:

1. That Loiaza deal is looking really nice now isn't it. Wolf getting $12 million makes Loiaza's $7.5 million a year look like a bargin.

2. If Bonds comes to the team (highly unlikely) I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. I can't say that I won't watch anymore, since I will, but I would be so pissed. I almost hate Bonds as much as I hate Rutgers.

3. Losing Frank Thomas isn't as bad as losing Zito. No way Thomas replicates what he did last year, so not only would we be paying more for less, we would have to find improved players to make up for his dip in production. Now Zito, who throws 230 quality innings (most of the time) will be harder to replace. Harden, Haren, Blanton, Loiaza, and our #5 isn't bad, but there is no depth. Counting on Harden is like counting on Peyton Manning in the playoffs.

4. Word on the street is that we are looking at Piazza and Floyd. Man I love these washed up players. It all started with David Justice (who I absolutely loved).

1 comment:

jorge blogsada said...

Yes, trading manny is silly unless than can get a motherlode of real prospects, which is of course exactly what they're asking for. I could see 3 of the dodgers' guys being worth it, but I agree manny is one of the few players in the game worth 20 million a year. As soon as that rumor resurfaced the requisite "ortiz will walk 200 times" columns hit the net. Of course at this point it's only 2 years of manny, so I suppose it starts to become a real possibility, but I can't see anyone giving 3 ml ready guys at this point for anyone.
Zito is a horse, in a skinny lefty kind of way, but he's not worth the 15 million a year he will get, not to the a's, I don't think. Beane does seem to have a penchant for cocoon players these days, but so far it's worked fairly well. Who doesn't love david justice, except for maybe eric.
Boras is amazing. I wonder if he'll get arod to opt out next year. I think crede, manny, and figgins will all get moved before the end of the meetings. I already listened to hud dog go nuts on the radio. Where was "fizz"? Every vitale needs his nessler.