Nov 30, 2005

Emptying Out the Junk Drawer of the Mind

I stole the title from Bob Ryan, but it was more interesting that Random Thoughts!

-Is there anything worse than a football team with a terrible pass defense? Watching the Pats D reminds me of the old 1993 Terps Defense. Which spawned the great line in the Post about them ("They are currently ranked dead last in I-A Football Total Defense - # 126th ranking. They are so far from 125th place that they would need to take a cab to get there.") A runner-up quote about this Pats D was penned last weekend when the 6th different QB went for over 300 yards against them ("Even the Venus DeMilo could pass for 300 yards against this defense").

-Recently finished the SG book. Nice easy reading, but I was hoping it was an actual book, not just a rehash of his columns. The "sidebar commentary" was a nice touch. Some of the older columns did bring back some good memories (back when I had free time to browse a bunch of stuff on the Net all day...)

-Our new office space is near completion!!! Its had more delays than your average America West Flight, but we should be able to move in by Dec 12th. Of course, our original targeted move in date was November 1st, but whatever. Fortunately, our existing place is such a total shithole that nobody has rented it so we were able to rent bad for some extra time. I can't wait to be out of DC!

-Lukas has had a nice case of the runs for about 4 days, just thought I should let you know.

-I know I am one of 5 NBA fans on the planet, and nobody really cares, but the Celtics are terrible. They have some talented pieces, but they don't really fit together right now. I'm still in the tank for Danny Ainge as I like the guys he's drafted.

-I've been watching more college basketball this year (compared to the last couple). There have been some great games thus far. I was totally glued to the Maui tournament. That was the best non-March Madness college hoop I've seen in a longggg time.

-I'm depressed about UMD hoops (and football for that matter). I know its early, but I just think a best case scenario is that we are one of those 8-9 seeds that gets knocked out of the tourney early. I want more than that. I just feel like our overall talentbase should be much better than what it is. Didn't we win a national championship?? What did I miss?? We have some nice pieces, but lets face it Chris McCray is our best overall scorer, and he would probably be a 3rd or 4th option on a Final Four caliber team. If you strip away the Terp-colored glasses and search your feelings...you know it to be true...

-Even though I haven't been too active, I've still enjoyed reading the banter on this space. I kind of feel like everyone has had it with the Boston Sports Scene as the last 2 or 3 years has exhausted everyone, so I don't want to comment too much on it. Also, I've been insanely busy and haven't had too much free time to post. On the bright side, when I retire in 2045 I'll be blogging like a madman!!!!

2 comments:

Other Brad said...

Nice Post!

-Sorry about the Pats D, but at least most of their issues have been due to injuries in the secondary (I'll bet the Pats fans were actually happy when the heard that Duane Starks was out for the season.) How 'bout them Ravens??? I am not a fair weather fan, so I will continue to support, but other than this season the thing that bothers me the most is that there doesn't seem to be anything good for the future. Our D is getting older, hopefully Dan Cody will turn into a player...Our offense, although we picked up some decent players has actually gotten worse because our O-line sucks and our QB is an average backup at best. Unfortunately, for Ravens fans, its going to be a rough couple of years because we have lots of holes.

-Don't know what the SG book is, but I am currently reading Harry Potter-Half Blood Prince???

-I am hoping my new office space becomes 2301 Sunset Dr N, same as my residence, soon.

-Sorry about the runs

-Not that I am a big fan of the NBA (spoiled overpaid athletes), but I like the scoring...take the over in most of the Wizards or Cavs games and you should be happy
because the Wizards can score and can't play defense (kinda like the old Mavs) and the Cavs just score alot.

-I agree that the Maui tournament was by far the best of the early season.

-Don't be depressed yet. I like the team and the chemistry so far (I haven't missed a game at home or on TV yet). I am not saying that we will be NCAA Champs, but we are gonna give alot of teams some trouble this year (and I expect us to give a loss to Duke this year to at Comcast). I am not a blind homer, and I had many concerns (especially with PG position and wondering if our Big Men would get pushed around all season). The team has great chemistry...McCray, Strawberry, and Ledbetter have been a decent PG by committee and when McCray and Strawberry are playing defense they are scary on the floor together (their quick and long). We have been passing the ball well, although Caner-Medley I still wonder if his head is in the entire game. Ebekwe's shot has drastically gotten better and he is playing strong inside for his thin frame. Garrison has been a pleasant surprise, although he fades away too much. He had 18 points last night although I think he might have missed 5 or more foul shots. Mike Jones is explosive off-the-bench (he was the unsung hero of last nights first half, DJ Strawberry was in the 2nd, and although the stats won't say it, Ledbetter played excellent in the 1st half when we needed defensive pressure.) This weekend's game against GW should be interesting and we should win out in December with a tough game against BC being a possible loss. The one thing I like the most about our team is that their conditioning. We have started each game slow or flat, but every game this year we have worn out the opposing team (except Gonzaga), and we seem to be in great shape.

dzahn07 said...

Well the one subject I wanted you to discuss was Manny trade rumors, and you left it out. If you trade him to the Angels, I'm going to hunt down Lucciano (sp?) and kick him in the nuts. I love it that the Angels are still in love with Erstad and Anderson, who sucks, but if they add Manny to that lineup, it is going to be scary.

And why are you so down on the Terps. They just beat App St by 50.

Finally, I've had the runs now for 10 years and you don't see me complaining about it...