Nov 21, 2005

Daily Journal

Two things to point out as I fly Southwest this morning on my way to Vegas this morning for a couple of meetings:
The Journal is hands down the best newspaper out there right now. I probably read the Journal 3-4 days a week, as I steal my VPs copy while waiting for him to join a meeting, and therefore I only get to skim the front page for any good business news, and then maybe one article that peaks my interest. But when I'm traveling, it always gets me through the time I board to when I can turn on my laptop, and I actually feel like I learned something after I'm done, unlike reading the LA Times, USAToday, and even the OC Register which is filled with such crap. For the first time in 3 months, I actually read a LA Times article from start to finish, but it wasn't about politics or business related news, but rather how the VGL (Video Game League) is taking off and how one of the best players of Quake and games like that is earning close to $1 million dollars in winnings and endorsements. This guy Fatality has his own line of mouse pads, Motherboards, Sound Cards, and even a clothing line, and is pulling down seven figures. The only downfall is that he wakes up at Noon, goes for a run, and then spends the next 14 hours playing games in his basement. Oh, and despite making all that money he still lives with his mom. So after I finished the Journal, I opened up the Southwest magazine and found a four page interview with Bill Simmons. I almost did a double take and then realized that our boy is all growns up. Next he will be doing covers of Fortune and GQ.

One other quick notes...Its amazing to me to see people above the age of 40 not have a clue about flying. How are you that old and have never been on a plane. Not only do they not understand the security line, they love to complain about it. Ugh. I know I'm being somewhat of a snob, but jeez....

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

My goal in life is to have a dot-matrix picture of me in the Wall Street Journal.

Are those hand-done or are those computer-generated? Their graphics have not changed in, like, 30 years or so.

And yes, Derek, you are correct, it is the best paper out there.