Dec 29, 2008

Sports News

Baseball
1. I haven't commented at all about all the moves so far this offseason. I'm happy about getting Holiday on the A's, but it seems a little meaningless without Furcal. Now we are stuck with Crosby who is terrible offensively and defensively. This will kill our offense, which already has too many question marks with Chavez and Ellis coming back from injuries. I'm sure Beane will do something else before the start of the season, but what a huge letdown not to get Furcal. The bullpen will be our strength and our starters have a huge upside, but not everyone will pan out. I'm predicting 85 wins this year in a weak AL West.

2. The only thing that is giving me hope in the A's is that Texeria is no longer on the Angels. What a huge break. Now I just have to wait for Manny to sign somewhere else.

3. Brad Penny to the Sox is a steal. 1 year $5 million contract with a $3 million incentive? Um, where were the A's in this? When Penny is healthy he is dominate.

4. I know its just ESPN being ESPN, but can we give the "Yanks ruining baseball" a break? Ugh. Haven't they been saying this for the past 20 years? Yanks reduce their payroll, and all they can say is that they spend too much money. Come on. Its makes it all the better when TB kicks all of their asses come next year.


NFL:
1. So all the road teams are favored in the Wild Card Weekend? Wow. This has me scared.

2. So if you took the under in Eric's "When will Romeo be fired", its time to cash in. Its sad to see that some of the other coaches are still employed. How can I make any Herm Edwards to the Browns jokes when he isn't fired yet?

3. Congrats to Eric for winning the pickem pool. Very impressive. I am a believer in your ability to only pick NFL games. Hockey, College Basketball and Football, and Soccer not so much.

NFL Wagering
1. Ohhh, so many things to like in the upcoming weekend in gambling. Taking Indy (-1.5) and the Under (51) is like taking candy from a baby. Norv in the playoffs and LT injured is making me giddy. If you watched last nights game, Denver couldn't stop Sproiles (every other team in the league has) and they also threw two interceptions in the red zone. Manning won't do that. SD isn't that good.

2. Wait a second. I get to make more money off of Tarvis Jackson? What a nice late Christmas present. Take Philly -3.

3. Miami vs Baltimore- As bad as I want to take the Ravens giving 3, a rookie QB on the road in the playoffs usually means bad things. Wait, has that ever happened before? I think I'm going to just take the over (37).

4. Atlanta vs Arizona- See above. I'll take the home team getting 2.5 against a rookie QB everyday of the week.

College Football Wagering:

1. OK, someone please talk me out of wagering on the Terps tomorrow.

2. Then loan me some money to unload on USC and Texas. The Big Ten is terrible.

3. Did you know that San Diego has two bowls games in the same stadium two weeks apart? I know it happens with the Orange Bowl, but I thought that was interesting.

No comments: