Oct 26, 2008

NFL Week 8: Walt Coleman


I want to apologize in advance, since some people on this board would rather I refer to Walt as "His High Holiness Walt Coleman", for he was the ref that made the call in the Tuck Game that sent the Patriots to their first Super Bowl win in 2002.

Coleman overturned a seemingly obvious call of an Tom Brady fumble in the last two minutes of the Pat's palyoff game vs. the Raiders. Replay did show that Brady's arm was moving forward, and Coleman declared the play an "incomplete pass" - which, upon review, was teh correct decision. The Patriots ended up kicking the tying field goal, winning in overtime, and the rest is history.

Well, this week, I feel like Walt - I have overturned three of my picks by either not playing them at all or going the other way after thinking about it overnight. I also may credit divine intervention as I was reviewing/altering my picks during the singing of "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" in church.

Martin Luther was only half right. God is a mighty fortress, but so is a great offensive line.

Anyway, the games this week:

Dal 24, TB 17. Dallas is desperate. They will find a way to win this week.

Was 24, Det 10. I have no idea how good Washington is. I do know thatthey will not make mistakes- and the Lions need their opponent to turn the ball over in order for the Lions to have any chance.

Mia 23, Buf 20, OT: I don't think Mia is as bad as they showed last week. A letdown game for the Bills?

NE 20, StL 13: It's tough not to pick a 41-3 game here; the Rams are improved.

SD 28, NO 27, in London: The NFL will not allow another 13-10 snoozer to be the marquee game in Europe. Expect a high scoring affair.

NYJ 138, KC 3: No, not a typo. The Jets win by 135 as Favre throws for 16 touchdowns.

Phi 28, Atl 27: I don't think people are giving Atlanta enough credit, and I don't think the Eagles defense is that good.

Car 23, Arz 13: Have the Cardinals been tested on the road yet this year?

Bal 27, Oak 13: I fail to see how the Raiders score more than 17 points in this game.

Hou 26, Cin 21: Cincinnati is too good (talent-wise) to be this bad record-wise. And again, are the Texans a team that should be favored by 10 points?

Pit 19, NYG 16, OT: Should be a great game. Too bad I won't watch.

SF 27, Sea 21: San Fran's defense is terrible. The Niners will win, but the Seahawks will show some offensive life.

Ind 23, Ten 17: There is no doubt in my mind that the Colts will rise from the dead here.

Best bets: 15 this week. 10-5 this week; 63-42-2 for the year.

Dal -1.5
Was -7.5
Was/Det under 42
Mia +1
NE/Stl under 42
SD/NO over 46
Atl +9
Atl/Phi over 45
Car -4
Az/Car under 43
Bal -7.5
Cin +9
Pit/NYG under 42
Sea/SF over 41.5
Ind +4

No comments: