Oct 4, 2008

About two nights ago.

So I've been meaning to add my thoughts about the VP debate but got sidetracked by a crab bite. Last Tuesday while on vacation in Florida, I got bit by a blue crab. Nothing too major, but it was on my heal and it was pretty deep. It bled for a while but after enough salt water and beer, I thought that it had healed properly.

So one week later while at work, my foot started to hurt. It hurt so much that I could barely walk on it. When I finally got home that day, I took off my shoe and realized that my ankle had swelled to the size of a golf ball and my entire foot was giving off enough heat to make an omelet. Hmmm, that's not good. I must be having a reaction to the detergent? Well once the smart one (Carol) got home, she made the decision to go to the hospital.

You would think that doctors and nurses at a hospital has seen everything, but everyone was amazed that my foot got infected by a crab bite. We must of had 3-4 different nurses come into our room and act like they were there for a reason other than to just stare at the foot. Anyway, they gave me some heavy antibiotics and told me to go to my doctors the next morning.

Well that night and the next morning, the redness, heat, and swelling was slowly moving up from my foot and into my leg. When my doctor saw me the next day he was a little more concerned that this would turn into a staph infection. He ordered for me to have two freaking shots immediately. So the nurse comes in and we have this conversation.

Nurse: OK hun, I have two shots for you. Are you ready.
Derek: Sure, no problem. I had a tetanus shot last night. I should be OK.
Nurse: Oh...yeah, this is going to be a little more painful than that.
Derek: OK. Can you at least use my left arm since the right is still a little sore.
Nurse: Oh...yeah, this isn't going into your arm. These are going into both of your cheeks.
Derek: Um..OK.

So I stand up from the bed and I start to un-button my shorts and just lowered them slightly. I will never assume how far they want the pants down due to prior embarrassment of me dropping my shorts and them telling me that I should keep them up. Nothing more embarrassing than that. So this resulted in the nurse pulling down my pants a little with this conversation:

Derek: Is this low enough.
Nurse: No, but I will take care of it.
Derek: Ow...mmmm (while the nurse caught her ring on my butt hair)
Nurse: I'm sorry about that. I'll try not to pull any more of your hair.
Derek: Yeah there s a lot of it. That's OK.
Nurse: No. Its not bad. You should see my husband.....Wow, I probably shouldn't of said that. Very inappropriate. I'm sorry.
Derek: Its OK. Just get this over with.

So for the next several days I was going into the doctor's office getting shots in my butt. I have left the band aids on my ass so they know not to stick me in the same place. Last night was so uncomfortable just sitting on the couch.

But things are feeling better today and the infection is going down.


So my opinion on the VP debate:

1. I absolutely hate how they judge the performances based on expectations. Shouldn't it be measured on equal footing? "Palin did very well since she didn't make any mistakes." Um, really? Shouldn't that be expected? Haven't we learned our lesson on lower expectations during debates? I put more weight into these debates because I think this reflects the candidates ability to communicate with the public and persuade the public on what they want to do in the future. Part of the problem with the financial crisis is that nobody can get in front of the public and persuade everyone to calm down and that this $700 billion bill is the right thing.
2a. Looks- Did Biden get botox in his forehead? Whenever he raised his eyebrows, nothing would move on his forehead, but the edges would. Very annoying.
2b. Looks- I want cleavage. Just the top maybe. Something? And was she wearing square glasses?
2c. I'm setting the over/under on Obama's lead at 15 points before seeing Palin appearing in a spring dress.
3. Things that pissed me off: Biden- blaming the economy solely on the last 8 years of Bush. Give me a break. Everyone in both parties had their hand in the cookie jar and deserves full blame. Palin- Maverick, Maverick, Maverick, Hockey Moms, Joe Sick Pack, Maverick, Maverick. Please just stop. PLEASE!!!! And you could tell when she was talking about her personal experiences compared to when she was holding the party line. It got old quickly.
4. Avoiding the questions. This happened in the Presidential debate and it happened again with the VPs. The only person who is not avoiding the questions seem to be McCain.
5. In the end I thought both Biden and Palin both came off very well. One of the more enjoyable debates I've ever watched.

No comments: