Oct 4, 2008

NFL Week 5: Ron Winter


It's the Browns' bye week, so this Sunday/Monday will be a relaxing NFL weekend where all I ask is for decent games at 1, 4 and for the primetime games. No need for matinee matchups, but just a solid slate of games that I can enjoy throughout the afternoon.

Ron Winter, as an NFL referree, fits that description perfectly. He is a no-nonsense referree with no flash - he looks like an accountant - but does a solid job all around. He never seems to get the good games - in fact, I think he's done about 94 Browns game since the return in 1999 - but he always turns in a solid job. Just want I want this weekend - a solid slate of games.

(By the way, I may have to retract my hatred of Jerome Boger - in week 4, I wrote my preview regarding him, and he ended up having the Browns' game. He called the Bengals for offsides in a critical 3rd quarter Browns' possession; on that play, Derek threw an interception that was nullified. Jerome may have saved his career - but may have prolonged this purgatory we are in).

GB 24, Atl 10. I will continue to state that Atlanta can't play outdoors on the road.

Chi 20, Det 17. Yes, I can see an upset here, but this wil go down to the wire.

Ind 28, Hou 24. Houston will win one of these games soon. They play the Bengals and Browns later this year....

Car 24, KC 13. The Chiefs will revert back to normal this week.

Mia 23, SD 20, OT. Are you really going to trust Norv and the Chargers on the road?

NYG 28, Sea 24. Something just tells me this will be close.

Bal 19, Ten 16. Tennessee seems to be the automatic pick here - but how will they move the ball? You don't rush on the Ravens. And you really thinkn Kerry Collins will solve the Ravens' D? In Baltimore? God, I hate picking the Ravens.

Phi 27, Was 17. Philly has to be pissed over last week.

Den 31, TB 20. The key here? It's at Mile High.

Buf 27, Arz 20. I give up trying to figure this Cardinals team out.

Dal 31, Cin 13. Is a comment needed? Boy, SW Ohio is already hating on the Bengals - and we aren't even at Halloween.

NE 30, SF 20. Would you believe that in my fantasy league for church, my only quarterback on my roster is...Matt Cassel? The bye week will help him.

Jax 27, Pit 16. The Jaguars can move the ball through the air. Pittsburgh has no running backs, so they will have to throw (and the Jags are vulnerable). I see more scoring here than most.

NO 27, Min 20. This should be a great game. Can Adrian please score twice again?

Best bets: Last week: 8-7. Overall: 38-24-1.

GB -3.5
Atl/GB under 40.5
Chi/Det under 45.5
Mia +6
Sea +7
Sea/NYG over 43.5
Bal +2
Phi -6.5
Den -3
Buf + 1.5
NE -3
NE/SF over 41
Jax -5.5
Pit/Jax over 36
NO -3

6 favorites, 4 underdogs, 3 overs, 2 unders.

No comments: