Jul 16, 2009

How not to motivate people

There is a big reorganization going on in our business at P&G - and I attended a rollout meeting where the VP's try to energize the group to buy into these changes.

At the end, they played a video to motivate us. "Unstoppable!" And to go along with that theme, they showed images from sports to illustrate that theme.

There were plenty of images of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now, I'm not a Bengals fan, but this is a company headquartered in Cincinnati. There are plenty of Bengals fans around. And none of them have forgiven the Steelers for their "dirty play" - their "cheap shot" of Carson Palmer in the Jan 2006 playoff game. Carson has not been the same since that injury.

I had no dog in that Bengals-Steelers playoff game - in fact, I wanted the most emotional pain as possible headed on the loser's side, and I think I got my wish. The Bengals fans are bitter and hate a lot of things about the 21st centruy Steelers. It's not a good idea to hold them up as role models to this city.

As for me? No, I have no respect for them either. Let's look at the two most recongizable faces of the Steelers:

Hines Ward. Punk. Should be taken out at any opportunity. *

* ok, ok. If you put truth serum in me and tie me up in the truth rope (don't get excited, Leland) - I will admit that Hines is a great player and I would love to have him on my team. He loves to win and - more importantly - will do anything to win. But I can't publicly admit this as a Browns fan.

Ben Roethlisberger. Dumb ass hick.

I mean, really, what he did on his motorcycle was just as dumb as Winslow. For those who don't remember, in June 2006, Ben was not wearing a helmet and smashed into a windshield.

So - to recap:

Winslow: acted irresponsible with a motorcycle, screwed up his knee, lost a year of playing, and is ridiculed by most fans for being a dumb ass.

Ben:acted irresponsible with a motorcycle, rammed his head into a windshield, missed 2-3 games, but somehow is revered as a warrior and a hero.

What's the difference? Race? Position?

No, some Steelers should not be held up as role models.

4 comments:

Layup said...

Oh god Eric. Winslow is ridiculed because he was driving a crotch rocket in a parking lot while being video taped at a high rate of speed. Ben was riding a harley and got hit in an intersection.

This type of post, while not on politics, starts to make me question your political posts a little more.

mer said...

Sports and business in any way shape or form is annoying. Can't stand the marketing and sales people continually using sports metaphors to get their point across. My world doesn't revolve around who's playing the big game(s) this weekend or any weekend for that matter which makes the metaphors less meaningful to people like me who don't know or give a shit about sports.

I am watching the Open at work today. But, I really couldn't care less who wins. Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something right with me? I know what this group would say.

Didn't even watch the ASG this week. Knew it was this week but didn't know what day it was played. Was too busy hitting range balls. Oh well.

I have better things to do then watch a bunch of spoiled millionaires play a game.

Eric Z said...

Layup, that is rich coming from you.

I remember you coming to Ohio to visit once - and I do recall you being shocked - SHOCKED - that people are allowed to ride motorcycles in this state without helmets.

You mentioned this is absolutely insane. As an insurance person, I can understand those feelings.

Please re-state your belief on motorcycle helmets. I believe you think they should be mandatory in all 50 states, under penalty of castration.

Now - with that belief - how in the hell can you insult Winslow but think that Big Ben is in the clear?

Oh - maybe you've now heard that Roethlisberger has been named ina sexual harassment suit?

But you won't hear that from ESPN. They have put out a "do-not-publish" order on that story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/21/source-espn-issues-do-not-report-alert-on-roethlisberger-story/

Eric Z said...

To respond to Kermit -

I think as we grow up we become less and less enamored with athletes. Some of us had that little kid inside of us that looks up to athletes - insane and illogical, I know, but it takes a while to shake.