Jul 19, 2009

Exercise/Fitness Question

Before we start, I don't think I have ever been as depressed on the outcome of a golf tournament than I was after today's action. It was - sad. Deflating. Disspiriting. The valiant effort of Watson came up just a bit short in regulation - you knew there was no chance of him winning - and, really, you can't call it a choke. Ok, the last putt was terrible - but he hit a perfect drive and a perfect 8 iron in. Is it really a "choke" to see the ball bounding over the green into a difficult spot? He made great contact - maybe too great? - and it was on the right line. Was it the wrong club? It was one foot - if that - from history that we will never see again in our sporting lives.

Anyway, a semi-serious question for you fitness gurus out there.

Starting in about December, I realized I HAD to lose some weight. I started jogging 2-3 nights a week, starting with about 2 miles and working eventually up to 3 1/2. (I also had to train for my 6 1/2 mile leg in the Marathon relay in early May).

So, in December, I weighted X. (I'm not brave enough to say exactly what X is).

During the winter, I would head to the gym after the boys were in bed, ran from about 10 - 10:30 and then weight myself. At the end, in early May, before the marathon, I weighted X-7. (We will call this Y). A 7 pound loss just from moderate exercise and no real change in diet.

Well, since that marathon, I've done nothing. Sure, I've mowed the lawn and walked the dog, but the jogging has stopped. Period.

Last week my neighbor and I played racquetball after work for an hour. I weighed myself on the same scale.

Y - 2.

How did I lose 2 pounds since May without doing anything?

Is it the summer? Doesn't any summer/winter difference get negated by all the ice cream I am eating?
Is it the fact that I weighed myself at a different time - 6 pm? Is there that much fluctuation during the day?

I'm pleasantly puzzled. Should I be happy? Or is this weight loss a mirage? (and yes, it was confirmed again today at a 5 pm weighing....)

9 comments:

Layup said...

muscle weighs more than fat. If you aren't doing anything, then you are losing muscle.

mer said...

Oh, and it was definitely the wrong club. He didn't need to get it close. He just needed the middle or front of the green. Maybe, if he had a real caddy, he would have won.

skeetskeet11 said...

I don't know what the deal is with your question other than to say that I'm guessing that a 2 lb swing on whatever X is, is not a statistically valid amount. i.e. You probably just took a big dump that day and that's the difference.

What I will say is that you need to get serious if you want to actually lose any considerable weight. Running from 10-1030pm is just not a sustainable way to exercise. You need to plan at least 2 days/week and one weekend day to exercise and stick to that. Work something out with Janice where you work out for an hour Tuesday and Thursday and she gets an hour to herself on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Whatever it is, if you don't make a sustainable plan to do it, you'll never stick with it.

Sweet said...

The equation is simple.

Calories In - Calories Out = Body Weight

And yes, the body can vary by several pounds during the course of a week.

You are getting exercise by walking and carrying your clubs on the course for an extended period of time.

Follow #11's advice and remember at each meal, food is always available, so eat a little less. (yes, I know I'm driving folks a little crazy with that comment, if it helps any, I'm struggling a bit with this concept right now). Regardless of how much you eat now, you are going to feel hungry in 2-3 hours, and you will be able to find food. We do not live in a 3rd world country.

Layup said...

The book is open. I'm setting Eric's X amount at 225. Over -200, Under +175

Wiz said...

A grand on the over please.

Eric Z said...

Wiz loses. X = 218. Remember, I don't work out, so I don't have a lot of muscle - which, as Layup points out, is heavier than pure fat.

To Lee: your "suggestion" reminds me of a Family Guy skit:

Lois: I saw that study on Dateline Katilsday.

Peter: What the hell is Katilsday?

Lois: It's a day NBC invented so they could have another Dateline...



Yes, let me go ahead and invent hours in the day so I can exercise.

Why isn't the 10-10:30 exercise routine sustainable? I proved it was from Feb to May. I ended it only because I met my goal of running in the marathon.

It's the only time I have to exercise. With kids in the house, I put more of a premium on having dinner with them all together than exercising. I have my one night a week for golf. And then iwth baseball, swimming, etc., there are too many evening activities with the kids in and around the house.

So - after they are in bed at 9, 9:30, it's time to exercise with a clear head. I just need to get back in the routine.

Eric Z said...

Oh, and Don:

Last week was the first time I walked 18 holes in, oh, 4 weeks. So golf is not getting me any exercise anymore.

mer said...

How come you're not riding? I try to walk at least 27 holes a week. Walked 9 yesterday, will walk 9 Friday and hopefully will walk 18 on Sunday. I may just walk anyway even if I have to take a cart. Done that a couple of times this year.