Feb 27, 2008

18 years ago...

I was surfing on the web and found this document....wow! These records do exist! Then I remembered what happened tonight 18 years ago.

On this date in 1990, a scared 18-year old walked from his dorm to a meeting room at the Case gymnasium for the orientation meeting for the Case Golf team. I met a couple of the team members in the fall when we were required to take a physical; since that time, I talked to no one else on the team and was a bit intimidated.

I distinctly remember 4 people from that first meeting on February 27, 1990:

- The captain, a 6'4" or so senior, who made it a point to tell everyone how much he improved his golf game over the summer; he also announced that he was a three-time letterman on the football team as well. Made sense, since our golf coach was the football coach too. I left the meeting wondering if this guy was truly a two-sport BMOC or someone who just liked to talk about himself.

- The junior who I met at the physicals for a bit - our first conversation was about Ben McDonald of the Orioles - who was a quiet character. I quickly found out that he was in a band....and he was not one for small talk. A brooding personality. Not one that I thought I'd warm up to quickly.

- A sophomore who was a physics major; this guy seemed to possibly have some mental problems - but then how could he be a student at Case then? We received some golf shirts from the school that night; he insisted on trying on his pants over the pants he was already wearing - since that was the way he worm them normally to keep his pants up at waist level.

- A fellow freshman from West Virginia who was named after our 32nd president; he complained during the meeting that his radio reception in his dorm was not very good. What was the problem? Well, he couldn't tune into his local AM radio station (based in West Virginia) from his dorm room (in Cleveland) to get the farm report.

There was also this mythical figure that was named after a Muppet...I wasn't sure at the time if that was his real name or a nickname. It was unfortunate that this person wasn't going to be on the team this year, due to a co-op assignment......however, I believe all the upperclassmen on the team told at least one stories about this missing person that night.


As I left the meeting that night, I'm sure I asked myself repeatedly - is this truly what I should expect from a Division III Intercollegiate Athletics team?

4 comments:

Wiz said...

You shot a 91 and got 9th place? Who the hell were you playing against? Was this the special olympics golf tournament? I think Leland could have gotten 5th place.

Layup said...

Remember that back in college Lee used to keep score by only using a smiley or frown face for each hole. I also believe he playing 18 with only using his 9 iron. Combine him along with Jay who consistently played in his docksiders and Money who used to keep a 1/2 gallon of rum in his bag.

I remember playing at the college park course with Clucky who was on the golf team and I lost a bet on a par three that forced me to dive into one of those scummy ponds. I had to play the last two holes in drenched clothes.

Eric Z said...

Hey Wiz - who had the low round of the tournament in 1990 and 1991?

(Geez....if only I didn't screw up the 1st rounds both years....I'll blame 1990 on the Tug-O-Mug and 1991 on the Capitals....)

Golf was so different back then. No one hit the ball 270, much less 300+.

Wiz said...

Hopefully you will be willing to make similar type bets in Vegas when we tee it up. Bring a bathing suit this time.