Oct 10, 2009

NFL Week 5: Magnolia


Have you even been to Augusta? This hole may be the least visited hole out there. It is located at the upper right portion of the course grounds - the dogleg in the fairway is probably the most remote location on the course, save for the 11th tee.


If you are a spectator, you usually follow your favorite golfer through 1, 2 and 3 - and then see the tee shot on the par 4 4th; then you say to your group: "Geesh, I'm not walking all the way out there. Let's catch them when they get back on the 6th or the 7th.". And then you eat your 5 pimento and cheese sandwich and move away.


When you watch on TV, this is a hole that they probably draw straws to see who covers in the early part of the telecast. Oh, who am I kidding. They just send Peter Kostis out there to cover the bland hole - he's a bland annoucner.


How bland and forgetful is it? In the 2009 Masters, there were only 7 doubles on this hole in whole tournament - and no triples or higher. What other hole out there is that boring where triple is not even an option?


That's week 5. A forgetful week that most spectators will just skip and wait for a better week next week. Have you seen these games? Yikes! Tampa at Philly. Dallas at KC. Cleveland at Buffalo. Washington at Carolina. Oakland at the Giants. Yes, let's grab our $1.50 burger and head to the hill next to the 6th hole.


Min 23, StL 16. Classic let down game for the Vikings. Just like the Browns last week, if you think a team really has hit rock bottom, they will (by definition) bounce.


Phi 27, TB 7. Now, if you dont' think a team has hit rock bottom yet..... Philly, on two week's rest, against Josh Johnson? Please.


NYG 28, Oak 10. Giants will get up big and then rest Eli.


Dal 24, KC 20. I can hear Layup shaking his head from here. But Dallas has no pass defense. None. That's the only thing KC can do.


Pit 31, Det 13. Lot of turnovers going the Steelers' way here.


Car 23, Was 9. The Panthers are a desperate team. I just can't see the Skins winning here.


Cle 24, Buf 20. So you're Don Criqui - the radio voice of the Notre Dame Irish. You used to be the #2 play by play man in the NFL (on NBC) for years in the 1980s. Now, for whatever reason, you are doing college radio play by play, but CBS has you hired as the 8th (that's right, the 8th) play by play team for those rare weeks when CBS is covering 8 games.


(Since Fox has the baseball playoffs, I thnk CBS will get most of the games for this week and the next).


So how did this phone call go 2 weeks ago?


Don: Hello?
CBS Flunkie: Hi Don! Hey, we need you to fill in and do a game on Oct 11th for us.
Don: Let me check my schedule.....(stalling, since schedule is wide open)....ok, I am available.
CBS Flunkie: Great! We'll put you down.
Don: Uh, what game is it?
CBS Flunkie: It's an NFL Game on Sunday! We'll snd you the itinerary.
Don: Where am I going??
CBS Flunkie: You're doing the Cleveland/Buffalo game.


Don: Oh wait, I forgot, I'm getting the swine flu that day.....

Bal 27, Cin 24. I don't think Baltimore's defense is all that good. And Cincy will bounce back after the awful showing vs. us last week.


SF 20, Atl 16. I have no idea what to expect from the Niners since Gore is out.

Sea 24, Jax 17. Hasselback is back, and I don't trust the Jags on the road. Didn't I say this 2 weeks ago?

NE 27, Den 20. I fail to see how New England lets this game fall through.

Arz 31, Hou 20. Layup and I have been discussin WNBA betting, and he's been fairly successful using the "Zig-Zag" theory. When one team wins and covers, bet against them the next game. It's worked awfully well in the WNBA playoffs. I think the Zig Zag theory worked for the Texans for weeks 1-4, and it's time to go against them in week 5.

Ind 27, Ten 16. I smell a trap here........but, as you know, I am a sucker.



Mia 21, NYJ 13. I think the Saints set a good example for many teams on how to get to Sanchez.

Best bets: 14 of them. Last week: 9-6. Overall: 30-30.



StL +10.5
Phi -15
Tb/Phi under 42
KC +7.5
Pit -10.5
Car -4
Cin +8.5
Cin/Bal over 42.5
Sea -1
NE -3
NE/Den over 41
Az -5.5
Ind -3.5
Mia +1.5

No comments: