Apr 2, 2008

I don't understand people

I don't understand some "sports" fans. On the local news here in Cincinnati, they showed the pre-game tribute at the Reds game for a soldier (a Cincinnati native) in Iraq who has been missing for 4 years. Unfortunately, his dead body turned up on Sunday in Iraq. So, before opening day on Monday, they had a moment of silence for the solider.

They showed the Reds standing on top of their dugout during the moment of silence; behind them we could see the first few rows of fans in the stands.

In the front row- the row right behind the dugout - a fan was seen - with a Red Sox windbreaker on.

Mind you, the Reds were playing Arizona.

I'm not picking on Boston fans - well, not in this post, anyway - but what possesses anyone to go to a sporting event and wear team gear from a team that's not even participating? If you do this, you are telling the world one of two things:

1) You are so dumb that you have no idea who is playing in the game you are attending;
2) you actually think that "hey, I'm going to a ball game....so I can wear my baseball gear that my uncle got me for Christmas in 2005! I've never worn it before!" - which makes you sound like some blonde from The Hills.

What is wrong with people in the US nowadays?

3 comments:

mer said...

I could see you doing this. Suppose you get free tickets to a game. As a baseball lover, you're going to go but you really have no feelings for either team. Why not wear your tribe hat?

But, I'm not a sports fanatic and will never understand you types.

Layup said...

See, I didn't think this was a big deal, until I went to a USC football game with my Terps shirt on and I got made fun of by all of Austin's friends. For 2 straight hours.

So now, I try not to wear jerseys of teams not playing.

RRD said...

I see it all the time and it is always Maryland fans. Funny you brought it up.