Nov 12, 2007

Playoffs! Playoffs!



I can't believe this has slid under the radar so much, but with the Tribe, Browns, and work - I haven;t caught the best story (so far) of Cleveland sports.
I was waking up this morning, lying in bed watching ESPNEWS, when the ticker rolled by.... Division III playoffs start on Saturday:

"Widener at Case Western Reserve"


Wait, what? How did this happen?


Apparently, we are the #18 ranked team in Division III. We won the UAA this year (and finally beating those inbreds from Carnegia Mellon, 20-17, in OT. We ended up 10-0, and are rewarded with our first playoff appearance ever.


(Which is odd...if I have a chance, I check the USA today for the Division III scores to see how Case did, and I swear I thought I saw a loss for them this year. I guess I was wrong!)


Our first round game is Saturday at noon vs. Widener. Who the hell is Widener? I have no idea.


What a proud day for Case sports. Wow. The closest moment like this that I can remember was in 2002, when we made the Women's Basketball Tournament - and won a first round game on a half court shot.


The field of 32 is announced here: just 5 wins to the Championship!


Go Spartans! (And, since I am biased here (Case '93, G'94), I need someone else to set the line. Do they have lines for Div III playoff games? Derek? Wiz? Leland? Don? Anyone want to set a line?)

No comments: