Dec 22, 2005

Random thoughts

More random thoughts, mostly focusing on ESPN:

1) So ESPN is putting up a poll about how the current USC team would sack up vs. other great college football teams in history. For example:
- would the 05 Trojans beat the 91 Huskies?
- would they beat the 02 Buckeyes?
and so on....

I hate to rain on the parade, but...
doesn't USC have to win the championship first???

I mean, gees, why not do a poll asking if Eric Zahn winning the 2006 US Open is the greatest upset in golf history? I will enter it - it's just a formality that I actually win. Let's start the poll now!

Of course, I'm not saying that USC's chances of winning the national championship is as remote as me winning the US Open. But it's not a done deal. If I were Mack Brown, I'd force all of the Horns to watch these segments as motivation.

2) On a semi-related note, I see that Leinart was reinstated by the NCAA from his little issue with "promoting" ESPN. I would have loved to see the NCAA take the hard line and make him ineligible for the Rose Bowl.

Hey, if Jeremy Bloom can't play in the olympics and play football, then Leinart shouldn't be able to promote ESPN and play as well.

This would take ESPN down a few notches.

3) The Browns are now 3-0 when Don Criqui announces. That's good enough for me to have him be our full-time CBS announcer, even if he keeps calling our starting RB "Reuben Jones".

We have Mr. Orgasm Gus Johnson this week. Argh.

4) I'm sick already of the Johnny Damon signing. We are talking about the 3rd and 4th best teams in the AL here. Both still have a ways to go to get to the White Sox and, in my opinion, the Angels.

Note to ESPN and others: Most people outside of the original 13 colonies are sick and tired of having the Red Sox/Yanks thrown down our throat.

How is this different than, say, Albert Belle signing with the White Sox in the 1996 offseason? Or Tom Glavine signing with the Mets a couple of years ago? (Hint: it isn't).

5) College Bowl pool update:
The Gooch leads early on with 2 of 2 correct; Derek, Don Hershey and I have 1 correct.

76 players entered the pool; 21 have 2-of-2 so far.

2 comments:

Eric Z said...

I'm not hating on USC - they clearly should be the favorite - but let's not say that Texas "has not shot".

Ohio St, I recall, had no shot against the best team ever in college, Miami, in 2002. We know how that turned out.

The Rams were going to be a dynasty after they killed the Pats in Super Bowl 36 (?).

Don't count chickens before they hatch.

My prediction: a great game, USC 38-35.

Eric Z said...

3-pete my Ass.

And don't you start with the Luckeyes, either.