Dec 14, 2005

Random thoughts from Week 14

First of all, it's hard to get pumped up for a game when you arrived home the "night" before at 6:30 in the morning. I haven't done that in a long, long time. Fortunately, I stopped drinking around 3 so there was no hangover - I was just zoned out the whole day. But I was alert enough to make the following observations:

1) Try as I might, I just can't find myself to hate Chad Johnson. Believe me, I love to hate everybody in the AFC north, especially Mr. Fraud Ben Roethlisberger (I want to punch the TV when his Fathead commercial comes on). But something about Chad makes me smile. I like his TD dances - they are planned, but planned with the fan in mind! - and comes across as genuine. Also, he gives props where props are due. On his "Can they cover 85?" chart he has publicized, he gave Leigh Bodden a "yes" after Sunday's game.

2) So I watched a bit of the Jax - Hou game - who was the ref? Bernie Kukar, a 2-time Super Bowl ref with 22 years of experience. My God, what is he doing there in week 14? Hey NFL, get the best officials at the best games late in the season.

3) Speaking of refs, let's make a rule - a ref can not wear a woolen face mask if fans are going shirtless at the game. I saw Mike Carey all bundled up with one in GB for the Sunday Night game - and then I saw shirtless guys in the stands. C'mon, sack up, Mike!

4) Didn't know Billick owned a Harley.

5) Can a hole open up more than it did for Washington during that kickoff return? Geesh - even I could fit through that hole.

6) So I'm about to cover the under in the Sea-SF game when I see Josh Brown out there attempting a 52 yd FG in a 38-3 game. 38-3! Of course he made it to put the total at the over.

7) It was a pleasure to see Derek go 1-10-3 on his picks on Sunday. He did win 2 on Monday, and I only gained 3 games on him, but nevertheless, it was fun calling him and telling him what his record was.

No comments: