Dec 14, 2005

Back in the Saddle

Ahhhhh. Finally we are back up and running. Still don't know what happened to the site. Anyway, here are some quick thoughts from an active two weeks:
  • Career change is on the way for me. I'm moving from managing numbers to managing people. If all goes well in my meeting this morning with my VP on my succession plan, then I'll be off to Long Beach. I'm sure my lack of patience and my shortness to people who are stupid will go over well with my new office.
  • Went out to Vegas last week and had one of my first winning sessions in about 6 years (excluding poker). After breaking down the session two things came to mind on why I won; I stayed away from Blackjack and I went in with some good karma. It is so apparent now that if you tip generously, say hello to everyone, and generally be pleasant to all strangers then you will win.
  • Probably the best outcome of the trip was that my buddy Ben, who doesn't gamble that much, is now hooked. I'm sure we will make another couple of quick trips out in the upcoming weeks.
  • Bumped into Shaq last week in a crappy restaurant late night. He was sitting in the corner and was holding court with all of the wait staff. After he left (of course giving me the traditional head nod) the wait staff was going crazy. Apparently he gave them all $100 bills as a tip.
  • Why can't I find any name brand dress shirts with a 17.5 inch neck. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Bradley to the A's. Well I don't want to get too excited since I'm sure this will go well for the first 2 months and then something will happen. I don't want to make excuses for him but what has he done as a Dodger that has been bad? Ripped Kent? Um..the guy is an ass. Get a little too emotional on called strikes? I like the passion. Chuck a bottle at a fan...hmmm I got nothing on this.
  • Won a couple of poker tournaments over the last two weeks. I'm now becoming unstoppable in my private games which is resulting in 30 people sitting around the table openly cheering against me. Takes a little while to get used to, but I actually enjoy it now.
  • I think I finally got rid of the Crazy Asian Chick.
  • Finally going back to Baltimore on Saturday for two weeks. I'm so excited to see everyone!!!!!!

2 comments:

RRD said...

Tony Siragusa can suggest some good tailors for your 17.5, he can also suggest some steakhouses where a finished 96'er is on the house.

Eric Z said...

1) Again, good luck in the new job; I can help try to find a P&ID loop that would automatically filter out any sarcastic statements you would say about stupid employees of yours from actually coming out of your mouth.

2) Being nice, saying hello, and being pleasant to strangers? Now you know one reason why I like the midwest.

3) Bradley was also let go/traded (I forget) by the Tribe. I'll try to research the details.

As Seinfeld would say, "Good luck with all that!"