Dec 27, 2009

NFL Week 16: Nandina


What the hell type of plant is "Nandina"? Sounds like that old song fromTony Orlando and Dawn. I've never heard of Nandina - they should just name this hole "Eisenhower" and get it over with.

The 17th, to me, is a kind of a filler hole. Not much excitement happens here. You can'tget in too much trouble - even if you did hit the Eisenhower tree, you should still make bogey. The green is sloped severly, but I don't think it is too exceptional on this course. Memories? Well, of course, "Maybe....yes sir!" was born here, O'Meara birdied this hole to quietly tie for the lead in 98, and then we have Perry's bladed chip. Any other memories?

( I assume most of you have heard why the tree is named the Eisenhower tree....if not, click here..... I mean, really, we all have our demons on each course we'd like to eliminate. The Zahn bunker on Blue Ash 7. I think Don would like to blow up the 17th green at Blue Ash and start over. (see below). Steve has been in the creek left of #3 at Granville many times.

The hole doesn't distinguish the field. If you were out of it - you're not going to get back in it with a birdie. Likeiwse, you're not going to see doubles to take people out. If you are in contention, you most likely will stay in contention after 17.

With the clouded mess inthe AFC, are there any true elimination games? May the Mia-Hou loser is out. Is Pit eliminated with a loss? Other than that, you could see a scenario where an 8-8 team gets a wild card - meaning a loss today may not eliminate anyone (like the Jets, Jaguars, etc.)

My personal 17th? Well, I like the 17th at Blue Ash, mainly because I have a 90% success rate vs. Don on that hole. Invariably, he will be 50 feet away on the wrong side of the hole and 3 jack, while I hack away from the trees on the left and make par. 1-up going to 18!

However, I have to look back on a course from 1991 - Longue Vue Club in Pittsurgh, site of the 91 UAA Championship. I was struggling down the stretch, trying to make all-conference for a second year in a row. 17 was a 400 yard par 4; I hit 3-wood, 4 iron on to the green - I was a terrible long iron player back then, so hitting the green with a4 iron was an accompishment. I then sank a 25 footer for birdie. A par on the last gave me an 8th place finish and all conference honors.

This was the tournament where my teammate, the immortal Brian Stadlemaier, taught me a new words. As I was around the 18th green after finishing my round, I was wishing bad luck for all the players coming in so I could improe my position. He calmly pointed out that I was practicining "Schatenfreud".

What the hell is that?

"The pleasure you get when seeing bad things happen to others".

Oh yes! Yes, I do experience that a lot. Like hopefully today when the Ravens and Chiefs win.

(We could have 15 blog posts about Stadlemaier. Maybe the next time I am in Vegas, I will pull racquetballs ou of my bag and practice putting with them before the round in his honor).

On to the picks:

Bal 27, Pit 20: The Steelers are not that good.

NYG 31, Car 16. I think the Giants are ready for their final push for the playoffs.

NO 30, TB 13. The Saints will be eager to right the ship.

NE 23, Jax 20. As with the Steelers, the Pats are overrated.

Cle 17, Oak 16. You just KNOW that Derek Anderson will throw for 300 yards this week and next - creating another QB controversy for 2010.

Cin 20, KC 17. Boy, oh boy, do I want the Bengals to lose here.

Atl 17, Buf 10. Brohm! Redman! The battle of Louisville!

Mia 27, Hou 20. It's time for the Texans to lose, once the games count again.

GB 28, Sea 17. I need another great day from Rodgers in my championship game in our church league.

SF 30, Det 20. What happens when bad offenses play the Lions? See the Browns this year.

Az 28, StL 13. I can't figure if the Cardinals are rising or sliding.

NYJ 22, Ind 20. Just a gut feeling here.

Phi 23, Den 17. It's about time for the Eagles to fall into their "one-dimnesional" all-passing offense, isn't it?

Was 23, Dal 20. I can't decide whether the Redskns willplay hard vs. the Cowboys, or if they are as bad as the "mail-it-in" Browns of 2008. I reserve the right to change this pick.

Min 20, Chi 17. I think this will be a close game. Cutler can't fail again on Monday night...can he?

Best bets: 13 of them. Last week: 8-6; overall: 94-104-2

Bal +2.5
NYG -8
NO -14
TB/NO under 49
Jax +10
KC +13
Buf/Atl under 40.5
Mia -1.5
Det +14
Det/SF over 41
NYJ +4
Was +7
Chi +7

No comments: