Dec 13, 2009

NFL Week 14: Firethorn

First of all - most of you know the news by now. Layup and Carol had their baby yesterday (early) morning.....a baby girl, 7 lb 6 oz. Name forthcoming. Everyone is doing well - or as well as can be expected! Congrats to the new parents!

Well, here we are at what I think is the greatest hole on the course. It's just an expertly designed hole - a shortish par 5 that allows most of the field to go for it in 2 - but the target area is quite small and there aren't any "nice" bailout areas. You want to lay up? Fine - now you have an 80 yard downhill pitch to a car hood.

The tournament, I think, is shaped by ths hole more than any other. Starting with Sarazen in 1935, Firethorn has decided many a tournament. Think Nicklaus (and Ballesteros!) in 86. Beck in 93. Norman's last stand in 99. Rose in 08.

(Ok - Layup and I are still pissed at that, as our sleeper pick for 08 hits two in the water on 15 in the third round to douse our chances. This - along with not picking Tiger that year - caused us to finish one spot out of the money).

This is where shots can be made up in a hurry - and given away quickly. This is the turning point of the home stretch.

And we are at that point in the NFL season. Will the contenders eagle? Or hit it in the pond? We've already seen one fraud be exposed, as the Steelers made an 8 this week and are now out - much to the joy of the gallery. Will the Dolphins make an eagle? The Niners? Will the Packers dump one in the pond? Ravens? Jets? Giants? This is a make-or-break week for many teams.

My personal 15th hole? Wow....not hard at all.....a reachable par 5 that has a memorable bridge (like the Sarazen bridge) and is sentimental? Easy....

The 15th at SugarBush, up in northeast Ohio is a 520 yard par 5 that is all downhill from about 200 in. A creek runs to the right and along the back of the green. A railroad car is used for the bridge to cross the creek and go on to the next tee.


Well, in the mid 90's , I was playing this hole with Steve and Kermit. My drive was bad, forcing me to layup - I think I had about 150 in for the third. I pushed it right - onto the car path, where it bounced....and bounced........into.........the railroad car.

Now what? This being March, there were no hhazard lines anywhere. But - as fate would have it, my ball, he open door, and the flagstick were all in line. Yes! We will play from the railroad car! The horizontal beams laying in front of the door were a challenge, but I successfully pitched out of the car from the asphault to about 10 feet - where I made par.

This is a true story, with witnesses....I think. I think I have all the details right. Maybe I got there in 2 and pitched out from the car but did not get up and down......anyway, I made a par from the railroad car bridge somehow.

Back to the games......

NO 30, Atl 20. Are the Saints slowly spiraling downhill...and headed for a first round playoff exit?
Chi 24, GB 17. The Bears can't continue to play this bad, can they? And I truly believe in the Monday Night hangover for the Packers.

Ind 31, Den 17. You figure the Broncos out. I can't.

Buf 20, KC 17. How do you market the Chiefs right now! "Come and see the Bills this Sunday! And if you can't make it , come next week when the Browns are in town!"

Min 27, Cin 24. I think the Bengals will raise their game as the competition gets better.

NE 27, Car 16. Another team I can't get a handle on - the Pats. You'd thinnk they are 9-3, but they are 7-5 and in real danger.

TB 23, NYJ 20, OT. Yes, I'm biased. So what - when we are 2-11, you look to root against other teams as well.

By the way - did anyone see this from last Thursday's Jets-Bills game? I could watch this 100 times in a row...and it still wouldn't get old....

Mia 23, Jax 21. I think the Dolphins are playing inspired football, trying to do anything they can to win.

Bal 20, Det 10. The big question is....are we sure the Ravens are much better than the Steelers? Are we really sure about that?

Hou 30, Sea 13. It's rollercoaster time! Time to get back on the Texans' bandwagon!

Ten 24, StL 14. I'll be shocked if the Rams score more than 2 touchdowns.

Was 17, Oak 13. The Raiders, I believe, are overrated.

Dal 27, SD 23. It would be too easy to take the Chargers and believe in the Cowboys' December swoon.

Phi 27, NYG 20. How many weeks in a row am I taking the Eagles? I swear, I'm not a fan - I truly am neutral here - but the matchup is good!

SF 23, Arz 17. The last stand for the 9ers and a letdown game for the Cards.

Best bets: 14 of them. 6-10 last week; overall: 80-90-2.

Chi +4
Ind -7
Cin +6.5
Cin/Min over 43
TB +4
NYJ/TB over 36.5
Mia +3
Det +14
Det/Bal under 39.5
Hou -7
Was -1
Was/Oak under 37.5
Phi -1
SF +3.5

3 comments:

Sweet said...

hey, it was tough catch, coming over his back ...and there was at least 1 OSU fan in the stadium that was a complete distraction. The conditions he is forced to play in... wow ...I'm surprised he was any catches.

Wiz said...

The 14th isn't a par 5??

Eric Z said...

Stay with us, Wiz......Have you read the blog in the past 3 weeks? Go back to the Thanksgiving entries......