Dec 6, 2009

NFL Week 13: Chinese Fir


The 14th at Augusta is sort of a breather between the excitement at the 13th and 15th - but, when you think about, the breather really only happens at the tee. Once you are in the fairway, absolute concentration is needed to make sure your approach stays on the correct level/tier of the green. The 14th green is the most severly sloped on the course - and many 3-putts (or more) are seen to knock players out.

For instance, take Freddie Couples. In probably one of the most painful moments to watch (without involving Norman), Couples was 1 down to Mickelson in the 2006 Masters. He hit is approach in to 30 or so feet - but in the wrong tier. He got to 5 feet for his par - and ran it by 4 feet. He then missed the comebacker for bogey. A 4-putt essentially handed the tournament to Mickelson.

People say it's "impossible" to 2 putt from various locations on that green - but I would like to try. In my prime (say, 2001-2005), I could 2 putt from anywhere. And I mean anywhere. Many of the readers has seen my escapes at: #8 at Champions; #17 at Hawk's Nest; #4 at Blue Ash; #9 and #15 at Walden; and (most importantly) #16 and #18 at Maketewah when my hands were shaking. The 2-putt on 16 - after topping my drive on a 370 yard hole and hitting a 7 wood in to 75 feet in the US Open Local Q - remains the best 2 putt I have ever had.

So extreme care must be taken on this hole to get out with a par. A delicate touch is needed to keep any momentum going from teh 13th and to continue the charge to the 15th.

The 14th is an overlooked hole - much like this week in the NFL, with the fantastic college games last night - but players just need 4 strong shots to continue on. Likewise, nothing spectacular is required from many teams this week - but teams like Denver, Cincinnati, Philly, Green Bay, and either the Giants or Dallas just need to play solid and advance for another week.
I think an apt comparsion to Augusta 14 is Yankee Trace 14. A very inocuous par 4- especially with the "New York" finish ahead ** - 14 at Yankee can get you in trouble. The drive is wide open, but you have to be on the corect tier on the green. I've won many holes from Don on this hole due to his 3 putting here.

(By the way - I am starting to loathe that back left position on the 14th. A lot of the putting excitement is taken away with that location.)

On to the games:

NE 26, Mia 23. Miami's last stand - but it won't be good enough agaist an angry Pats team.

NO 23, Was 13. A mandatory letdown fo the Saints?

Pit 27, Oak 10. Should be 24-3 at half, and the Steelers wil be on cruise control.

KC 24, Den 21, OT. Denver is not tough recently away from home.

Hou 27, Jax 17. Shut up, Layup. I think the Texans are ready for their last stand.

Ind 28, Ten 27. Yes, I do beleive the Titans will make a run at winning this - but will come up just short.

Cin 27, Det 10. I don't see how the Lions will score much vs. the Bengals. And the Bengals have not covered for 2 straight games - time for that trend to reverse.

Chi 26, StL 13. Just what Cutler needs - a 1-10 opponent.

Car 24, TB 20. Tampa has not given up - that's all I know about this game.

Phi 30, Atl 21. Please stop me - why do I believe in this Eagles team?

SD 23, Cle 3. I should go heavy, heavy, heavy on the under (42.5?????) - but then we will lose 40-3.

Sea 24, SF 13. Just when you think it is safe to believe in the 9ers......

NYG 24, Dal 20. Yes, my anti-Cowboy hatred is blinding me.

Az 31, Min 28. I just have a feeling, although neither team has much to play for here.

GB 27, Bal 20. Again, I remain unimpressed with the Ravens, and the Packers are playing better recently.

Best bets: 16 of them. Last week: 8-5; overall: 74-80-2.

NO/Was under 47
KC +6
Den/KC over 39
Hou -2
Ten +6.5
Ten/Ind over 46
Cin -13
Chi -9.5
Phi -5.5
Phi/Atl over 43.5
SD/Cle under 42.5
Sea +1
NYG +1.5
Az +3
Min/Az over 48.5
GB -3.5

** - if you can go even on holes 15-18, you can par anywhere. A nickname Craig, Don, Mike and I made up.

1 comment:

RRD said...

I love the discussion of best two putts you've ever had.

#18 at Evergreen Country Club, State Regionals, 1995. I pulled a PW long on the par-5 and had @ 50 feet downhill on a glass green. Had a five foot putt for par that swung from the right. I barely read (read: hid my eyes from) the putt. Dead center. Got Stafford into the state finals by one stroke, and got me into a medalist playoff with a 74, which I won on the first hole with a four par.

I teed off in the playoff with a Ping Zing One Iron.