Sep 27, 2009

NFL Week 3: Georgia Peach


Well, I don't know if I can relate this theme for the NFL Picks to the Browns anymore. Apparently, the 2009 Browns are playing Winged Foot from the back tees with greens rolling at 14 on the stimp and the rough is 6 inches high. So any hole is going to be impossible to par - and we will be lucky to break 90.
(Or - to be more accurate - the 2009 Browns are like us playing the Kampen course at Purdue, the week before the NCAA D-I golf championships were held there - and all of us got plastered the night before, so much so that we (I?) had to throw up in the Panera bathroom the morning of the round just so I can stabilize myself and see straight. Too much information?)
Maybe I should relate this theme to Freddie's flag football team, which I am coaching. We won yesterday to go 1-1 - so the pressure is off and I can rest, believing that we won't go winless. Hole 3 is a chance to catch your breath. You're not going to shoot 85, but now it's time to settle down. You know what is working (the fade off the tee, the chipping is good - very much like our passing defense and, suprisingly, our passing game) - but there are shots that are still shaky (maybe the mid irons are hooking way too much; we can't tackle on the outside for crap right now, espeically on 4th down!). So Week 3 is where we start playing to our strengths (if any exist) and start to buckle down.
At Augusta, the worst you can be at this point is 1 over. You have to buckle down and focus here on hole 3 - it's a relatively easy hole, but if you lose your concentration, you can easily wind up with a 5 or 6. Focus for the 4 shots, and you should walk away with par.
Unless you are the Browns. Ugh.
On to the picks:
Ten 27, NYJ 20. I'm stubborn. Fine. I refuse to believe the Jets are this good or the Titans are that bad. The Jets played a Houston team that didn't show up, and a Patriots team that fed into their emotions. This is a classic letdown game.
NYG 23, TB 16. Talk about let down games - how can the Giants not have a letdown after that super charged win over the Cowboys?
GB 28, StL 17. F You, packers. I'm out of the suicide pool because of you. I think the Browns - as of now - would be able to beat the Rams, but it would be a 7-6 game.
Phi 27, KC 24, OT. We haven't had an overtime game yet, and I think there will be a couple this week. Are we sure Kevin Kolb can lead them here? Kansas City can score on Baltimore - why not Philly?
NE 30, Atl 17. Atlanta hasn't been on the road yet. The Patriots are desperate. It may rain outside. People really see the Falcons winning this?
Min 20, SF 17. OK, I'll buy into the San Fran hype. If they can stop Peterson, there's nobody else there. Are you saying Percy Harvin will lead the Vikes? Berrian? The receivers are average, at best.
Hou 21, Jax 17. Talk about ANOTHER letdown game out there. Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags pull this out.
Was 24, Det 16. I think that Detroit's dismal defense will bail out the Skins here. The Skins can be 2-1 after this game - and they are putrid. Wow.
Bal 30, Cle 10. Do I have to preview this? I'm shell shocked right now.
Chi 20, Sea 13. Hasselbeck is out (really? Shocker). In three years, hasn't Seneca Wallace proven that he's not a competent backup for Hasselbeck?
NO 31, Buf 24. This game scares me. I still don't know what ot expect from the Bills.
SD 20, Mia 19. I'm not sure where I'm going with the Dolphins here - that loss Monday night could crush them, or make them more determined to win a desperate week 3 game vs. an overrated (?) Chargers team.
Den 17, Oak 16. Kyle Orton, 3-0 with Denver after today. All he does is just win. He was like 20-12 with the Bears or something like that.
Pit 26, Cin 23, OT. Should be a classic. I'm interested to see all four sides of this game (Pit O, Cin D, Cin O, Pit D).
Az 30, Ind 23. Something is just missing from the Colts right now.
Dal 24, Car 20. Let's just face it - Dallas may not be that good, and may finish last in the division.
Best bets: 14 of them (last week: 7-8; overall: 13-18).
Ten +2
Ten/NYJ over 37
NYG/TB under 45.5
GB -6.5
KC +8
KC/Phi over 38.5
NE -4.5
SF +7
Jax/Hou under 47.5
Chi -2.5
Mia +5.5
Pit/Cin over 37.5
Az -3
Car +8.5

No comments: