Apr 5, 2010

The Good Old Days


I'm finding YouTube clips of old Sesame Street clips to play for the kids - and they are just as hilarious now as they were back then. This beats another episode of "SpongeBob" anyday - hell, it even beats the recent "Sesame Street" episodes and its too-cute "Elmo's World" vignette.

I've played this clip for Martin about 20 times over the past 3 days. It doesn't get old for me.

"Fat Cat Sat Hat"

It's just fascinating - the pure genius of the clip. The 2 minute video could be interpreted to make a statement on many social themes:

- 60's coolness vs 70's brashness
- conformity vs individualism
- repressed homosexuality. My rommate for 3 years in college had an immense library of Sesame Street clips, and was convinced that Henson was trying to show it was OK to be gay. The first few months, I laughed him off; by the 3rd year, I was convinced (and still convinced) he's right.
Evidence #1459: Listen to the lyrics starting at the 1:35 mark.

For the older kids, I still get a kick out of Grover the Waiter. The oldest two love it as well:

The Big Hamburger (I remember being afraid of hamburgers for a year after watching this)

Fast Food

Grover's Memory (don't you feel like the Blue Guy when the damn waiter doesn't write anything down?)

1 comment:

The Dudeman said...

Eric, we picked up this video recently for our daughter.

Sesame Street: A Musical Celebration

It's all classic Sesame Street skits - Ernie's Rubber Ducky, Oscar's I Love Trash, and many others. Fits right in with your theme, you might want to pick it up.