Jan 7, 2009

Too many topics to post about

Happy New Year 2009 ! So many things to blog about.......we'll save the Mangini hire for the next post, and we will talk about politics later, but for now, random notes from the last two weeks:

- I was so looking forward to a civil war in Vegas with a possible Maryland-Purdue 2nd round game or even a Maryland-Dayton 8-9 game....but today's loss to Morgan State just killed those possibilities for now.
What's worse? Maryland losing to Morgan or Boston College (who just beat North Carolina) losing to Harvard? Oh yeah, the ACC is up this year.

- Like Layup, I am so giddy for the golf pool to start. What a fun ride last year - weekly phone calls with Layup on Wednesdays at 10:30 to pick the golfer, and then running downstairs on Thursday morning (like a kid on Christmas) to check for an email from the commissioner that detailed the week's picks. Half the reason why this pool is so good is because the commissioner sends out everyone's picks Thursday morning and sends out a summary Sunday night - weekly!

- Just a Home & Garden note: if you have hardwood floors, please make sure they are sanded and polished. Or, if you fail to do that, then provide your guests with slippers so they don't impale the ball of their foot with a 5" sliver that takes 4 days to remove.

I'm looking at you, Mr. Hershey. Last year, your floor took out Freddie. This year, the floor got me.....

(and yes, on January 2nd, with the sliver, I still ran 3 miles.)

- I am embarrassed to say that in my first head-to-head matchup with Freddie on Madden 08 for the Wii, I had to make a goal line stop at the end to prevent Freddie's Packers from beating my 49ers. I won, 40-35.

- Speaking of the Wii, Warren is starting to write stories in Kindergarten. He wrote about making cookies with Mom. His sentence started :
"Wii got the mixer out......"

- Had a run to the boats over the holiday; Don & I headed to the blackjack table at Argosy - and dammit, they had the auto shufflers. We sat down with one other person who was on first base.
The third or fourth hand, this person had a soft 13 (2-A) against a dealer 9.

"Hit me" he said. Of course!

Ace.

"Hit me"

Ace again. Now a soft 15, 2-A-A-A.

"Hit". No, no it couldn't happen again......

Ace again. 2-A-A-A-A. 16.

"Hit". Don and I are cringing.

Ace again. 2-A-A-A-A-A. 17.

"Hit". Of course, it is the correct play. Don and I have closed our eyes.

Ace. 2-A-A-A-A-A-A. 18.

Now what? He hit, got a 6, then hit again, a Q. A nine-card bust.

Needless to say, there were no back doors for Don or I at that table.

No comments: