Jan 10, 2009

Another year older....


Yes, it's that day of the year. Another year older. This is the best image I could come up with to mark this date - never mind the fact that my name is not "Colin".

Some random birthday memories, spurned on by those "Acura" commercials this holiday when the little kids were riding around the house in Big Wheels:

Best present: For whatever reason, the birthday present that sticks out the most from my childhood was my 12th birthday in 1984. We just got an Atari a few months before, and of course that was great as Layup and I battle each other in "Breakout" and "Combat". But then, for my birthday, Mom and Dad gave me "Missile Command". Oh my God - that was the best. I played that 14 hours a day on the weekend trying to reach new scores and levels.

I just realized that 1984 is now TWENTY FIVE years ago. I remember 1984! Mary Lou Retton, "Where's the Beef?" - wow. I am old.

Most sentimental present: During winter break for my senior year in college in 1993, I turned 21 and was spending it at home. Janice sent me a card for my birthday - signed by all of the people we hung out with in the dorm. (You know- all the people that Steve hated.) I think I still have that card.

Golfing memory from my birthday: None. I don't think I have ever golfed on my birthday.

Sporting memories: Two of them:

1982: This was the 1981 AFC Championship and most likely Air Coryell's best chance to get to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, they had to travel to Cincinnati, where it was -7 degrees and the wind chill was -59F. The Bengals won, 27-7, and they went to their first Super Bowl (led by Kenny Anderson). I wasn't rooting for anyone, but was fascinated by the fact they would be playing outside in those temperatures.

2004: I love playoff overtime, and I think I can recite 80-90% of the NFL playoff overtime games. The double OT Carolina-St Louis overtime game happened on this date, 5 years ago...and I remember watching this at the Hershey's as they were throwing us a goodbye party as we planned to move to Iowa. 5 years ago! Wow.

1 comment:

mer said...

Happy birthday Eric. My 40th was last Friday and I have to say that will be the most memorable. Martinis, bowling, riding the bull, and hookah. Not to mention all the birthday sex from my non-girlfriend. Awwww, life is good. Well except for the 10% pay cut I received yesterday that will hopefully only last the next 8 months. But hey, I'm still employed.