Sep 13, 2008

Obediah!

So I was listening to Mike and Mike yesterday morning driving to work (yeah, I know, some of you are already saying that's a mistake). They came back from a commerical break to the tune of "Build Me Up, Buttercup".

Both Mikes were singing along horribly to the tune, and so was I (all alone, in the car).

They then lamented the fact taht neither one of them could sing. Greenie then said "you know, I would bet that most people wished they could sing - I mean, sing on tune and sing well. I love to sing, and I know I am bad - I wish I could sing better".

I'd agree with that. I love to sing too, and I realize I am horrible.

Then Greenie went a step further with a confession.

"And you know what? If I had a professional singing voice - I can't believe I'm saying this - honestly? I'd rather sing songs on Broadway than be a rock star".

Golic made fun of him, of course, but you know what? I agree. I'm with Greenie here. If I had a choice, I'd choose the talent of singing Broadway than being belting out unintelligble rock lyrics.

And don't shake your heads out there....I know there's a least one frequent commenter of this blog that would agree with that - (Mr CardinalGlee Club, I'm looking at you).

Then he went one further.
"I mean, I would love to be able to play the role of Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls. That would be the ultimate role for me"

Wow.....I'm right with Greenie on this. I picture myself as more of a Nathan Detroit kind of guy, but I could do Sky Masterson as well. It's too bad I was driving alone and couldn't share my rendition of Sky during Scene 10 of Guys and Dolls. Strike up the band!

My time of day is the dark time
A couple of deals before dawn
Where the street belong to the cop
And the janitor with the mop
And the grocery clerks are all gone

And the smell of the rainwashed pavement
Comes up clean, and fresh, and cold
And the streetlamp light
Fills the gutter with gold

That's my time of day
My time of day

And you're the only doll I've ever wanted to share it with me

(speaking) Obediah!

[Sarah] Obediah? What's that?

[Sky] Obediah Masterson, that's my real name. You're the first person I've told that to.

I've never been in love before
Now all at once it's you
It's you forever more

I've never been in love before
I thought my heart was safe
I thought I knew the score

But this is wine, that's all too strange and strong
I'm full of foolish song
And out my song must pour

So please forgive this helpless haze I'm in
I've really never been
In love before........

2 comments:

mer said...

Put me on stage for Sweeney Todd and I'd be in heaven.

mer said...

But, doesn't that make us very entertaining?