Nov 13, 2006

Things I really like right now

1. NBC's selection of the Sunday night game. This should of happened years ago. The best idea from the NFL in a long time. I'm just worried this doesn't turn into the NFC East Sunday Night Game. Last night's game was so nice to have.

2. Idiots like JD Drew. For some reason this made me smile when I saw that he opted out of the last three years of his $36 million deal. What an idiot. What is he thinking?

3. College Football- Love it that everyone is going crazy over Rutgers. Let's see them win out first and then we can talk about the National Championship. And this is the genius behind the people who run College Football BCS rankings. Eric, who is not a college football fan, is all fired up and watching regular season Big East games and Pac 10 games because of BCS implications. REGULAR SEASON GAMES!!!!! The conferences are cleaning up because of this in television contracts. Throw in the boatload of money each conference gets for bowl games, and the happy alumni that gets to have a nice winter vacation to go to a bowl, and this my friend, is why we don't see a playoff system in college football. Every year, college football is the lead story on every single sports talk show for 2 straight months since they are all bitching about the system and who is getting robbed. THEY WANT IT THAT WAY. This forces you to watch to see if USC will lose against Cal, or if Rutgers can beat WV, or Florida can beat out which ever cupcake SEC team they need to play. Its come to a point this year, where OSU vs Michigan isn't the top college football story right now. Its Rutgers and how they might get robbed. Why does this surprise everyone???

3 comments:

Eric Z said...

1) The last part of your comment in #1 is soo true. Looking at the schedule as we did, it can be VERY easy to turn the Sun night game into the Dallas/Indy/Philly/Giants game. In week 15 - if they want variety at all - maybe they will move the Cleveland-Baltimore game to prime time.

3) OK - the college football thing; I agree that it creates interest.

But it's not truly a competitive sport, then.

If a BCS team wins all its games, is one of 2 BCS teams that is undefeated, and can't play for the national championship...

then the sport is a fraud.

It is now based on judegement and reputation. What's the difference between today's college football and ladies' figure skating?

There is none. WHy does reuptation, or opinions matter?

If you are undefeated (1 of 2), then you go. Period.

60-70% of division I teams can look their players in the eye and say "look, even if we winn all our games, we can't win the national championship".

That is wrong. And that's why I don't like college football.

What if- in 2003 - I shot my 69 in local qualifying for the US open, and I wa told "Uh, look Mr. Zahn - you don't play for a private club, you hit the ball only 250 yards, and frankly, you are overweight. you are not the golfer we'd like to take to the US Open, so we are taking a golfer who shot 70 instead."

That would be wrong. And taking another team over Rutgers is wrong as well.

Eric Z said...

There's my comment! Why does it always say "0 comments" when I load the page???

dzahn07 said...

Eric,

I agree with your statements, but even with someone who "hates college football" and believes it is a "fraud", you continue to watch it to see it play out. If people stopped watching football, and the networks stopped paying huge $$$ to televise regular season and bowl games, then we would see a change. So you are feeding into the problem.

Do I believe that if Rutgers wins all of their games they should play for the national championship? Yes. And if it doesn't happen will I stop watching college football? No, because I don't really care. I understand that it is flawed. I watch college football for one reason. Gambling. If they outlawed Gambling for college games, I can probably tell you that I would cut my viewing by 80%. I would still watch the big games and some of the bowl games, but that's about it. Same can be said for Pro football. If they outlawed gambling and fantasy, you would probably see the viewing audience decrease by 50%. Seriously. Do you agree? Why would you watch some of these other games? Would I waste an afternoon watching the Raiders vs. 49ers? No.

So I'm probably the wrong person to talk to about the problems in college football. I understand that it is flawed, but I understand why they don't fix it. If you think it sucks, then don't watch it or write about it. Move on. But you are falling into the old trap. You are only interested in College Football this year just so you can see Rutgers go undefeated and not go the title game. If Rutgers wasn't in this situation, then you wouldn't write one thing about college football. You wouldn't write one thing on how the SEC is over-rated, or how amazing the Terps turnaround has been, or how over-rated Michigan has become.

And I could go on about how bad it would be to let Rutgers into the national championship game, or how great it is that the regular season means so much in college football, but I will hold off, since that is not the point of the discussion.