May 2, 2006

Whatcha doing little guy????


This morning on the 405, I almost hit a little squirrel who was occupying the right hand shoulder of the highway. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel, or any other animal for that matter, on a busy highway before. This poor little guy was freaking out!!!!! He was just running in circles which put him right into my lane. Since I was doing my normal 90 MPH, I had no chance to avoid him without causing a 20 car accident, but somehow he made it in between my tires and back out without any harm done. I'm usually not that sympathetic to animals on the road, feeling that they should know better, but I sort of felt bad for this guy since he obviously had no chance whatsoever. I've been involved in many strange animal accidents involving everything from chasing down a canary and having it's body stuck in my front grill with its head sticking out, to a cat falling from a tree that was hanging over the road and landing on all fours, looking right at me right before the collision with my left front tire. I could of swore I saw the cat mouth "Oh Fuck" before impact. But the oddest accident involved Richie and I doing around 70 mph on Phoenix Rd and seeing a groundhog trying to cross the road. I tried to avoid it, but somehow the poor guy got stuck in my back left wheelwell. After about 7-10 rotations of the tire and still hearing the thuds from the lodged groundhog, I pulled over. As Richie and I go out to inspect, the groundhog shot out of wheelwell and into the weeds, scaring the living shit out of both of us.

Here is hoping that the squirrel is as lucky as the groundhog!!!!

No comments: