Nov 29, 2009

NFL Week 12(b): Azalea


When you see this picture, you know this is where the fun begins. The 13th. Challengers that are 4-5 back can make a big stride with an eagle. People in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th to last grops must make birdie to stay in the hunt. he leaders have to make sure they don't trip up here.

So many good memories. Seve's apprarent locking up of the tournament in 86. The Norman/Olazabal winks in 98. Zack's excellent execution of this hole in 07. Tiger's putt into the water 2 (?) years ago. (Why isn't that shown more as a highlight??)

This is where the fun really begins. This is Augusta. The 13th.

And really, we have a good setup today - just like a Saturday or Sunday of a major. The early games involves some contenders that need to keep going and maybe get a big win - like an eagle. The Panthers. The Texans. The Dolphins. Atlanta. The 4:00 games are better, with more contenders playing. Jax-SF. Arizona-Tennessee. Chicago-Minnesota. The 2nd to last game is a good one - I don't care that Big Ben isn't playing. And then, of course, it's the Tiger-Phil matchup for the last game of the week, Patriots-Saints.

It's all fun from here for the next 3-4 weeks or so.

My personal 13th hole - a par 5 that is reachable with water in play - has to be one where I played in the 1st round of the 2001 US Amatuer Qualifier up in Cleveland. This was my first experience to the "new" golf - to the young bombers that would really change the game this decade.

The 13th hole at Hawk's Nest in Creston is a 530 yard par 5, off an elevated tee, with water down the right side and also water crossing in front of the green. I was playing very well - even through 11 in the qualifier - so I played conservatively - 3 wood, 5 iron, wedge, 2 putts, par - and off I go.

My playing partner was a 17 year old from California. He took out the driver and hit it 300, a beautiful draw that landed on the left side of the fairway. But - I thought to myself (and to Steve as well) - he's still got 220 over water - he can't possibly....

Oh yes- he pulled out a 2 iron, hit the highest 2 iron I have ever seen that fluttered down within 15 feet. He didn't make the egle, but it was a great birdie - and then I knew that golf in the 2000's would be different.

(This hole also is a favorite of Steve and I - we were playing a practice round here, and Steve was driving. I got a snack at the turn and was trying to eat my bag of Munchos that came with my sandwich, as Steve gunned it down the hill. My Munchos went flying out of the cart.

I immediately screamed, like a 7 year old boy * - "My Munchos!". They were lost forever in the creek. )


On the games:

Stl 20, Sea 17. I'm starting to like the fact that the Rams have not given up on the season or their coach yet.

Phi 27, Was 13. "Philadephia is angry, my friends....like an old man trying to return soup at a Deli".

Car 23, NYJ 20. Have to go against the Jets until they prove otherwise.

Ind 24, Hou 20. I can't pick the Colts-Texans games.

Cin 27, Cle 20. We will keep it close - certainly under the 13 point number.

Mia 24, Buf 17. Miami is ready to make their playoff push.

Atl 24, TB 20. Atlanta is severly overrated, and Tampa is "frisky". This will be close.

SF 16, Jax 13. The 49ers of 2 weeks ago return in a game that will be described as a "throwback" game.

SD 31, KC 20. I like the fact this could be a shootout.

Ten 27, Az 17. Do I thin the Titans can run the table and go 10-6? Maybe, just maybe.

Min 27, Chi 20. I just think that the Bears can hang for a while here.

Bal 23, Pit 10.No line on this game yet - so I will make the Ravens a best bet if the line is under 10.

NO 31, NE 24. I think people are overvaluing the Patroits.

Best bets: Last week: 7-5; Thanksgiving: 3-0. Overall: 69-75-2. 10 more here:

StL +4
Phi -9.5
Car +3.5
Mia -3.5
TB +12
Jax/SF under 41.5
KC/SD over 45
Ten -2
Chi +11
NO -1.5


* - Many of you must be saying to yourself: "You mean you whined like normal, like a 7 year old boy". Yes, that is correct.


1 comment:

mer said...

You mean like a 7 year old little girl don't you?