Nov 21, 2009

NFL Week 11: White Dogwood


The 11th hole. This is where Augusta starts to turn and be a little nasty. A stern test awaits here on this hole - now a monstrous 505 yard par 4.
Has anyone ever seen the tee box? I think the closest the gallery can get to the 11th tee is now 100 yards away - at least. The tee shot is a blind, narrow one - and a wayward drive has sanred many a recent contender. Remember Phil's foray into the woods a few years ago? The one where he tried to claim that some dumnped grass clippings in teh woods was ground under repair? He was so deep in the woods that he was an extra in a Blair Witch sequel! (bah da bum).
The approach, however, is disappointing. This view is about what you see. Most players (except if your name is K.J. Choi) have no choice but to bail right - and from there it's a 50/50 shot at a par.
This is a tough hole - where par is a great score and most golfers are looking to survive. Like teams this week - looking to somehow surivie a tough game. Teams like Atlanta, SF, Chi and Philly, Houston, the Jets, and Baltimore - all can't afford a Phil-like drive and drop a shot here. This Sunday night game will be fascinating - as it is an effective elimination game for two disappointing teams.
I had a hard time coming up with an 11th hole from my golfing history - I have most of the back nine set so far - but the best I could do is the 11th at Walden Ponds. A par 4 of 400 yards, I somehow always have trouble on the drive. The drive does not set up well for me at all. The apporach is very similar to Augusta, with a lake of the right instead of the left. All of us usually bail left. The one saving grace for me is that for some unknown reason, I always make putts on this hole. I have made countless par puttts of 12 feet on this green. I don't know what it is.
Here we go, starting with the game of the week:
Det 20, Cle 10. Yes - you guessed it! Don Criqui is confirmed to be the announcer this week for this game! This means he has done the Browns/Bills classic 5 weeks ago, this game - and I will wager that he wil lbe on duty to do the Browns/Raiders game on Dec 27.
Dal 31, Was 13. I've gone back and forth on this one. I think good Dallas will prevail here.
GB 23, SF 20, OT. The inconsistent Packers come out again.
Pit 29, KC 17. The Steelers will get a big win here.
Min 24, Sea 13. Not much to say here - an easy win for the Vikes.
NYG 27, Atl 17. A must win for the Giants, and I will go with the desperate team. I think the Falcons' season is over.
NO 30, TB 20. I refuse to pick any more Bucs' games.
Jax 20, Buf 19. No reason - new coach in Buffalo, plus a letdown of sorts for the Jags.
Ind 27, Bal 20. I still don't believe the Ravens are that good. Hwoever, I'm scared of a letdown from the Colts.
Az 31, StL 17. How many weeks in a row now are the Rams a home underdog?
SD 23, Den 13. No word yet on who the Denver QB will be.
Cin 20, Oak 14. Here's the letdown of the week. Cincy will score a late touchdown to win.
NE 30, NYJ 13. The Pats have to fired up for this one, right?
Chi 23, Phi 17. The Eagles have no running game - and a good defense wil be abale to cpaitalize on that.
Hou 30, Ten 24, OT. A barn burner on Monday night- to make up for last week's debacle. Sorry about that, folks!
Best bets: Do I have to? 12 this week. Last week: 4-9; overall: 59-70-2.
Dal -11
SF +6.5
Pit/KC over 40
Sea/Min under 46.5
NYG -7
Buf +8.5
Ind -1.5
Az -9
Oak +9.5
NE -10.5
Chi +3
Ten/Hou over 48

2 comments:

Sweet said...

You can't think of an 11th hole that is tough, long, water on the left, water short, bail right and you've got a 50/50 chance at par, and par is a good score?

When was the last time you played Blue Ash? Granted its a par 3. Give me 3 on the tee box and I'll gladly move onto the 12th.

RRD said...

Great KJ reference. One of my favorite golf quotes was Ernie Els, his playing partner, in reference to the 2,

"It never left the flagstick."