Aug 5, 2013

Eric as Kevin McHale

For the past couple of years, I have been playing basketball many Tuesday nights at the American school. The peope that play on Tuesdays are about 75% ex-pats and 25% Chinese. There are some (not many) Americans; Russians (hoo boy, that's fun), Filipinos, Africans, and Hong Kong-ese. The basketball there is fairly recognizable to any American....

However, I'm about to enter another adventure. The different functions at work (engineering, IT, line businesses, etc) have started a basketball round robin tournament. The engineering group have asked me to play on their team. These guys are all in their mid- to late-20s, and - well, they are fairly small. About 5 people have come up to me - seperately - and have said "oh great, we need a center. You can play center, right?" Um, I'm barely 6 feet and 41 years old, trying to run with 27 year olds.  A center? Sure - you realize I can't move well, right?

We had the first practice tonight in a university gym - with no air conditioning. Holy crap, it was hot. Some random notes:

- It's the first pick up game - ever - where everyone on the team says "ok, we are slow, so we are not going to play man-to-man." Zone? Really? In a pick up game? I haven't played a zone defense since 1989.
- We were shooting around to begin with; I hit a jumper. I stayed in my spot, expecting the rebounder to pass me the ball back.....uh, no. None of that courtesy.
- There is no "checking" when playing a half court pick up game. You get the ball at the top of the key, and go..... no chekcing to see if the opponent is ready.
- Rules will be obeyed! A team voluntarily called a half-court violation on themselves. They  actually inbound the ball when it goes out on the sidelines (vs. just checking at the top).
- Not a lot of jumpers are taken. The offense is either drive into the lane and get fouled (a la LeBron) or pass to try to get someone a layup. Many are reluctant to take the 10, 12 footer. I hit one near the start - that elicited a lot of ooohs and aaaaahs.
- Terminology: someone passed to me when I was open, but I wasn't looking.....I apologized; he said that I was "empty" and that's why he passed it. Empty? Oh, you mean I was open..... I guess it could mean the same thing.....unless I was insulted and don't know it.


Our first game is Sunday morning - and I've been told (by another American) that we are playing in a school gym that resembles the Thunderdome. I'll try to take more pictures.

No comments: