Aug 5, 2013

Back (in China) for More

Hello all - back from our 4 month hiatus from blogging and back from our 5 week summer trip home to the US. Things got crazy in the spring with work and too many kids activities - no time for blogging.

As most of you know, we've got good news to share - Janice got promoted to a new role in late May. It is in Guangzhou as well.....so that means, of course, that we will be here for another 2 years, as the clock resets. So - 2 more years of fighting the VPN for blogging, 2 am Mondays in the fall and pretty cool vacations.

Thanks to all for a great summer - lot of memories and activities packed into the 5 weeks. Some random thoughts:

- I think kids need to be 4, 4 1/2 years old to be self-sufficient on long flights. Martin was not too bad on this trip - except where he spilled his Sprite on himself in the first 45 minutes of the 12 hour trip.....didn't expect to use the one change of clothes that early on.
- Thanks to Don for hosting the annual get together at his house.....it's always nice to have that to look forward to when the year becomes long in April, May.
- Golf over the summer is getting worse year after year; the Vineyard was an embarassment (especially round 2). But got to see our friend Paul win the event.
- A gambling bonanza from July 2-9, with a trip to Vegas to see Layup and his family, and then bonus days with Wiz coming into town for golf and gambling for 2 days. I introduced Layup to baccarat and Janice to Salon drinks.....saw the Hoover Dam in 120 degree heat....and, of course, had a horrible bad beat to a parlay where we needed an under 8.5 to come through to win, and the score going into the 9th was 3-0......
- I need to spend more time with Steve and Kermit somehow...... my 39 on the front nine at Champions where I hit 0 fairways and 1 green was the highlight of my golfing summer....

- Freddie and Warren are old enough now to play golf on a "real" par-3 course; my Dad and I went out with them during the last week. No, the picture is not from a real-life "storm chasers" - it's an impending storm coming while we were on #4 at the Bruin.
- It's good to be able to start clubbing your son; hole #5 is a 85 yard par 3 over water - it's no longer an automatic driver for Freddie. He hit a 7 iron over the green.

- Weight loss: I didn't blog about this, but in the spring (post-Vegas), I made a concerted effort to lose weight. I got serious about exercising and my diet. It's surprising to really see how much a difference my diet makes - if I just eat smart, I lose 1-2 pounds a week with regular light exercise. I lost a total of about 15 pounds from March - June; I only gained 5 back over the summer. Now, back in my routine, time to get back to the diet and lose some more.

It's hard to find 30, 45 minutes straight to write/post topics; I am thinking about getting a Twitter account to post quick thoughts about random topics, pictures, etc. I'll still try to post on the blog once a week - and the football picks will be coming too!
 

No comments: