Mar 4, 2012

Catch of the Day

Today, after basketball, we had our weekly trip to the supermarket. The back of the store was the seafood section, an area of the store I usually do not go into - but today was different.

I noticed a small counter set up on the floor with about 10 people around it. I got closer and took a look.

The seafood department worker was cutting up these beautiful Norwegian salmons in front of all the customers. I joined in when he was just starting the first fish. The butcher (is that the right term?) started cutting up all the parts of the fish - head, skin, tail - and instead of throwing it away, he would put those parts in the blue trays that you see in the picture.

A mini skirmish then ensued as the customers all fought over who would have these parts of the fish.

At the end, the filet was left; more trays were brought out, and filet portions were placed in the trays....but no takers for that.

I'm horrible at guessing weights of these things; I'm guessing it was a 15, 20 pound salmon?

Then the next fish was brought out, and people started jostling to get in position. The lady in black at the top of the phot already had one head, and wanted another.

I went over to the seafood case, picked out a shrink wrapped package, and that was dinner for Janice and I tonight. I got .35 KG - about 3/4 of a pound - for 42 RMB , which is $7. Is that a good deal?

1 comment:

skeetskeet11 said...

Very good deal. I think that salmon goes for something like $15-$19/lb.