Aug 18, 2010

Seinfeld

Just a couple of quick notes...

- It seems like everything and anything gets done here through friends - very much how Kramer survives in Seinfeld. I asked my driver to figure out how to unlock my iPhone in order to get it to work over here.

"No Problem. I will do it today while you are at work".
Do you need me to go to a store with you?
"No. I have a friend who does it."

I expected him to say that his name was Bob Sacamano.

But it got unlocked easily (although the warrenty is now voided. Big whoop.). Now, how do I get a SIM card and a China number?

"No problem. You come with me and you can buy that from my friend."
Really? So off we go - into a Guangzhou neighborhood. We stop at a random building and enter a McDonald's. We go up a flight of stairs (most fast food restaurants are multiple floors), and then exit the McDonald's go up another flight.
THere we enter a electronics market, where it's clear I am the oldest there by more than 10 years.

We go to the apple desk. I am presented with a printout of all the China mobile #'s that are available.

"Go ahead - pick what number you want".
OK....hmm...how about this one?
"Fine!"
10 seconds later.... "oh, sorry, that's taken. Pick another?"
OK....how about this one?
"Great!........oh, sorry, that's taken...try this list!"
I am handed another piece of paper.
This one?
"Let's see....... no"

I said in my best Kramer accent: "Why don't you just tell me the number you want me to have?

So - 65 yuan later (about $9), I have unlocked my phone and have a working SIMcard that can now accept calls. No signatures, no documentation. It's nice. Much, much better than the crap we put up with in the US.

By the way - on the trip, I saw my first NFL jersey in Guangzhou. It was a caucasian (he was across the street; don't know if he was American or European)...

.... and he was wearing a Terrell Owens #81 jersey for Buffalo.



(Yesterday, on the street, I saw a 50-something Chinese man wearing a Sacramento Kings shirt with the logo from the late 90s. I am expecting to see a Montreal Expo jersey any day now - or possibly an Akili Smith jersey)

1 comment:

Schillzilla said...

I believe your phone is now jailbroken. Make sure you do NOT install iTunes iOS updates for your phone, as each update resets and cripples jailbroken phones. You will need to revisit your "friend" each time. :)