Aug 24, 2010

Random Notes & Observations


1. I may have ranted to many of you in the past about this....I am a big $1 coin guy. I hate the wad of dollar bills stuffed in my wallet - and for what? $1 doesn't get much anymore. My solution is to get rid of the $1, bring back the $2, and let Susan B. Anthony be famous again by putting her on a new $1 coin.

Well folks, this is my personal hell here in China.

Coin are very rare. You go into a shop to buy something that costs 6.80 yuan; you give them a 10 yuan bill - and you get 3.20 in change.

That's 3 1-yuan bills, and 2 0.1-yuan bills.

Now - if you take into account the exchange rate;

that's 3 bills worth 16 cents each, and
2 bills worth just under 2 cents each.

My wallet is thinker than the opening day in Vegas. And it's all full of small bills that total $1.47.

I've been giving the boys the 0.1-yuan bills (called "jiao") as payment for silly things like changing the channel on the TV.

2. There is no such thing as a bakery here that will bake cookies for a birthday. As a substitution, I am bringing in strwaberry and mango donuts for Warren's class in honor of his birthday (which was yesterday (but still today for some of you readers)).

3. Warren is having a party this Saturday....at the Ritz-Carlton. Every kid should have a birthday party at the Ritz, no?

4. Reason #46 why I will weigh 300 pounds after this assignment: We visited our new apartment this past Saturday. Hopefully, we can move in for good during this coming weekend. In the complex, there is a conveinience store that has many Western comfort foods, like cereal, tomato sauce, and American (and European) pop.

PS - I love the grapefruit Schweppes soda. I am not joking.

Anyway, the boys and I got ice cream there after the visit (when Janice was picking out drapery patterns for 90 minutes). I opened the ice cream freezer and saw....

oh my....Viennetta.

Viennetta has a special place in my heart (and Steve's heart, too). I'll have to share this story later, but it involved Beavis & Butthead, cards, suggestive advertising and many people at Finast thinking we were homosexuals.

But now that I know that our new place has Vienetta on a stick, I'll be gaining 20 pounds pronto.

5. Cultural references: A lot of reruns are shown here. For instance, I watched the 4th round of the AT&T National this weekend! You may not know this, but Justin Rose won! It only happened 6 weeks ago - and it was telecast on TV last weekend!

Well, apparently, China gets shows 5-10 years after they are popular in the US.

Janice had an off-site work conference for two days. She was wearing a name tag when someone in her department (but does not work for her) came up to her.

"Hi! How do you prononunce your name?"
Uh....Janice. Jan-is.

"Oh, like friends".

Janice first thought he said "French", so she asked what he meant.

"You know, Janice - like friends".

No, she said. What do you mean?

"You know, Friends. Chandler's girlfriend - Janice? The same name?"

So she is slightly mortified that people now associate her name with that character on Friends with the annoying laugh.

2 comments:

mer said...

You're in China man, serve the kids peanut butter buns...mmmmm yummy

SteveB said...

Vienetta!!!!! If you can get Swanson turkey dinners and Wonder bread there you will be all set.