Feb 23, 2010

Need advice

So I've gotten down the timing of watching sporting events while having to feed my daugther and rock her asleep. I'm able to hold the baby, bottle, and the remote all at the same time by buying larger bottles so I can hold with my neck so I can operate the remote. And I'm using this thing called a boppy to prop the baby up, making my weekends on the couch with the baby very enjoyable for me as I watch TV.

But the problem that I need help with is my reactions to these said sporting events. I'm kind of a loud guy when I'm watching sports that I have money on and something exciting happens, I can't control myself in my reaction. During this weekend alone, I woke up Morgan twice, while she was in my arms because of the following events:

  1. Saturday late afternoon: Watching golf. Casey vs. Villegas. I have Casey. Morgan finally is asleep after 45 minutes of battling. TV volume turned all the way down. Trying to keep current with all the texting coming in from Wiz and Eric. Crazy match. They are in extra holes. Casey is about to be eliminated, but Villegas shanks his 2 foot par putt, pushing the match to go into the next day (reverse gooch worked). When he missed it, I jumped up (with baby in hand) and yelled in excitement. I couldn't control myself. I don't know who was more confused, my wife or Morgan. And the reactions where a little different. The wife saying WTF and the baby screaming like a terridactol.
  2. Sunday early evening: US vs Canada hockey. Told Wiz to take the US, so my hockey reputation was on the line. Once again, the baby is asleep in my arms after 30 minutes of fussing around. I was good on the first US goal. I was even good on the second one. But the third one I freaked out and that woke the baby again. Ugh....

So how do you guys control your reactions when watching sports?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No advice here. I knee'd Ayden (21 months) in the head after Vasguez's buzzer beater from half court on Saturday, followed by knocking over Cameron and his friend on Tucker's game winner.

Best bets, Nyguil and a Pack and Play.

BTW, I love the boppy, found myself using it as a pillow for myself at times.

Eric Z said...

Well, why do you think I was somewhat grateful that the Browns played most of their games at 1 pm this past year??

That's naptime!

If you are having problems at this age (3-6 months), then you need to calm down....because it gets a whole lot worse later, in the toddler period.

You saw the story from Brad (at 21 months)....now true stories from our household:

1. Oct 2002: Freddie is 20 months. The 2002 season ended up being the Browns playoff season! They were 3-4 heading into a big game at the Jets. The Browns got a big lead, then were only up 24-21 with :30 seconds left. I'm trying to watch Freddie at the same time....

The Jets were lining up for a field goal....

...and I see Freddie walk in the room with a pencil in hand, point up.

What could go wrong? He'll be fine....besides, only 3 more minutes here....

The kick is blocked! The kick is Blocked! Browns win!

20 seconds later, Freddie stumbles (NOT on me), and the pencil plunges right into his cheek.

The mark is still visible.

2. August 2005. I just finished playing the Iowa City Championship, and due to a double on the last hole I fell from 8th to 11th. The top 10 were automatic qualifiers for the Iowa City Ryder Cup team. Two captains picks were to be made that afternoon....

...I'm at home, wathcing Warren, who is 23 months. The phone rings. It's the captain.

As he is inviting me to be on the team, I hear crying from another room.....Warren is sticking his finger in an outlet. He cries for 3 seconds, stops....then repeats.

It is chaotic as I try to accept the invitiation whil preventing my 2 year old from electrocuting himself.

The moral? You think it's hard to watch sports now with an immobile baby? Try it while trying to keep an eye on a toddler. It's impossible.