Dec 26, 2021

Week 16: COVID

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!  Ours was secluded as now I have COVID after surviving Carol and the kids getting it two weeks ago.  While it wasn't that bad, somehow I also got Strep.  I finally feel better today and looking forward to watching some football. 

In March of 2019 we decided to make a return trip to Vegas.  Eric’s battle had a lot of ups and downs in 2018.  Chemo took a toll on him early on, but it was working and got some early signs that he was recovering.  He seemed to be in good enough spirits to join the group at Bandon Dunes and be the only person to play in the tournament in a cart.  The second half of the year things were not going all that well, but he started to feel better towards the end of the year and wanted to return to Vegas.  So everyone returned along with Micah, as he just won the Golf Fantasy Pool the year before and had money to burn.  Before the larger group arrived, Wiz, Eric, and I played a round at a new place in town.  An annual Vegas tradition seems to be Eric’s mad dash before golfing to get the team parlay in at the book.  This is such a hassle for him, especially when the majority of the group is not even in Vegas yet.  Trying to coordinate 7 grown men to text in their pick is pretty comical. And when the book doesn't even know the games we are trying to play it makes it even more frustrating. 

 First golf session of the trip that morning - at Canyon Gate CC, a new course in our rotation But first, I got all the picks for the parlay from the morning travelers.....and one of them included Lamar. I went to the Mirage book to place the parlay - and saw the Lamar game was not listed. I asked about it.

"What conference is that?"

Southland.

"Southwestern?"

No! Southland.

"Is that Division I?"

YES! you idiot!

If you are working in the book on Conference championship week, you better know the Div I conferences. Period. Who are they hiring in the book? So I decided to take a walk across the street to the Venetian where, yes, the Lamar game was listed and I put the parlay in.

And before golf - some quick gambling at, you guessed it - Face up Pai Gow.

The weather all week in Vegas was cold - I bundled up as much I as I could on a blustery Sunday where the temperature never broke 65, I think , in the afternoon. I liked the course - driving the ball relatively well helped - but I got tired and faded over the last 3-4 holes. The highlight of the round was on the 11th hole, where Layup hit a ball off the tee left into the pines. He was next to a bush and about 10-15 feet inside the fence line protecting the course from million dollar mansions.

With an awkward stance, he swung - and I'm still not sure how this is physically possible, but the ball went about 85 degrees left. It hit the fence twice - BING BING - and we heard another BANG as the ball hit some house somewhere. Thank God it was about 2 pm and no one seemed to be at home in those houses.

Also - since we didn't know the course, gooches were prevalent. Drives that seemed to be down the middle started taking sloped we didn't know existed and ended up in the rough or worse, hazards. I remember one horrible moment by Layup on my drive on the 13th where my ball landed on the right edge of the fairway and ended up in the penalty area on the left - after Layup said "great drive". I think our gooch score that day was Layup 4, Eric 3.

All in all, a nice course to add in the rotation; the weather ruined it a bit but can't blame the course for that. Food and bar area was very nice as well.
 

It was a pretty non descript trip though.  I do remember lots of grinds in the Salon and lots of UTH as usual. 

Onto the games

SF @ Titans+3:  Loved the Titans here and they came through. 

Browns@ GB-7.5:  Loved Browns in this game as well.  GB always has a let down in a game like this.  I understand the refs were bad, but man so was Baker.  Really rough to watch him, but they covered 😊 

Colts @ Cards-1:  Loved the Colts here mainly on the coaching mismatch and Kyler not looking healthy still. 

Lions @ Falcons -5.5:  This is probably a trap, but bet the Falcons after seeing Goff out. 

Bucs @ Panthers +10:   Bucs banged up and on the road.  Way too many points.

Jags@ Jets PK:  Yikes. Is this too easy to take the Jets at home?  Why isn’t this a bigger line?

Giants @ Eagles -9.5:  Line is going crazy here recently.  I’m staying away.  Both of these teams has just screwed me

Chargers @ Texans +10:  Ekler is out.  Cooks is out.  I’m out.

Bills @ Pats -2.5:   I don’t understand the love here for the Bills.   How do you bet against the Pats at home in a big game like this?

Rams @ Vikings +3:  Like the Rams here.  Vikings missing too much. 

Ravens @ Bengals -2.5:  Well I bet this before Huntley was out.  While its part of the Supercontest and best bets, I’m hedging out.

Bears @ Seahawks -6.5:  Love the Seahawks here with anything under 7. 

Broncos @ Raiders PK:  Lock on the road?  How is this line still so low.   

Steelers @ Chiefs -7.5: Wanted to take the Chiefs here but the COVID news was too scary and now this looks like a steal and the line is now up at 10.5.

Skins @ Cowboys -11: Cowboys don’t look right still and I’ll take the skins with the points in this divisional game

Dolphins @ Saints -3:  Love the Dolphins here. 

 

 

Best Bets

Titans

Browns

Colts

Falcons

Panthers

Pats

Raiders

Ravens – but hedged out

Chiefs

Chiefs Under

Dolphins

 

Supercontest

Colts

Browns

Falcons

Dolphins

Ravens

No comments: