Nov 6, 2021

Week 9: Dinners

 

2014 we really started to get into a great rhythm of gambling, golf, and great dinners.  One thing that tends to get overlooked in these trips are the great dinners.  These really started when Don and Mike joined us.  The nicest dinner I went to before they joined was at Smith and Wilensky’s with Mer and Eric where we ordered seafood tower since one of us won.  But Don and Mike pushed us to move away from chain restaurants and try the wonderful array of places that Vegas had to offer.  They introduced us to Mesa Grill and Craft in the beginning which pushed the rest of us to look for higher end places in future trips.  Don and Mike were our wine experts as well.   They always ordered amazing wine.  Mike knew what we could handle and always delivered.  I enjoyed the wide array of pallets at the table with Lee and Don trying different and unusual items with Eric and Wiz sticking to the kids menu.  And then the conversations were never dull.  It always started with critiquing Eric’s outfit.  It always involved pleated pants, penny loafers, and some outrageous neon colored shirt.   After that was out of the way we just ragged on each other and talked about all of our bad bets. And if the conversation was in a lull, Eric would find ways to discuss a new topic or bring others into the conversation.  One of his best qualities was trying to make the most out of every moment.  That’s what makes him so much fun to gamble with and what makes him a great dinner guest.   I remember one time at Lavo, where we were all tired from day drinking and we got seated outside and it didn’t seem to be a good setting.  So Eric started going at Ira on his knowledge of college basketball, which then turned into a contest on who could name more college basketball team’s mascot. We went through all of them. Not just 20, or 50, or 100, but ALL 350 of them.  Now I will never forget that dinner, and I won’t forget that  Eastern Tennessee State is a Buccaneer and not a Pirate.  These dinners will never be the same without Eric there l

 

In 2014, we branched out and tried a super trendy restaurant in the Aria.  This was a place where the lighting was purple, music was blaring, and the servers were pretentious. 

 

We got back just in time to get ready for dinner, at Sage at the Aria. Hoo boy, what an adventure this was. Our reservation was at 7 - we got there in time, seated fine - and then it seemed that it took forever for the server to come over. And then the sommelier did not appear for a while. Our appetizers took a while to arrive. The poor sommelier came over after the appetizers and Layup said very loudly and dryly "Well, thanks for showing up" or some such sarcastic remark. Ah, I see the alcohol was kicking in!

My choice for the entrée came down to the pork chops - which I do not get at ALL in China - or the flank steak. I asked the waitress - she recommended the pork. Wiz went with the pork also. Layup, Don and Mike all chose the steak.

The food came - well, let's just say there were orgasmic sounds coming from Layup, Don and Mike. "This is the best steak I have ever eaten!" "It just melts in your mouth - I'm not exaggerating!!" "Oh My God, I'm going to cum" were the quotes from the three of them. The pork? It was good, yes, but it's hard to enjoy a meal when the entrée you declined to order is causing those sorts of reactions. Yes, I was jealous. dammit. The portions were not large for any of us - which would come into play later.


We all ordered dessert - great - and then we all ordered Absinthe, an after dinner drink. That may have been a mistake.  I still don't know what goes in that - but they lit it on fire at the table. It was about 8 ounces in a goblet - and, of course, there were dares on the other side of the table to chug the drink.

So - we were well oiled as we left the beautiful Aria to go back to the Mirage.  (Why don't we stay at the Aria some year???) .

 

I remember this dinner well. First, what made the steak amazing is that we all got the Foie Gras on top of the steak which was out of this world.  Also,  Wiz and I bet who could get closer to the total bill and the loser would have to pay the winner the dollar amount they were off.  I was so lit at that point, I think I was off by $500 (too low by the way).   That should have been a sign that I should of just gone to bed afterwards.  But instead, all of our drunk asses decided to play Baccarat.

 

I found the group at the baccarat table, where all 7 of us where going to "own" the table for the night. It started with the staff trying to open the table and the glass lid on the chips; their key would not work. We had to move to the corner table when the fun finally began.

First, the display went out. "Dongle not present" or some such error was on the baccarat display screen. With all of us buzzed (at least) or drunk, that message was the basis of a few bad puns.  After a while, a technician came over a fixed it; I offered to tip him a $5 chip for his effort. He was not allowed to take it. I offered again, again, and one more time. He was ready to pull the wrench out of his bag and whack me. After another half hour, I look over at Layup. Uh oh. I see red splotches on his face and he is getting a bit bloated. He's having an allergic reaction. He says he feels fine, but will go and get some Benadryl from the store when the time is right.


Being the concerned brother I am, I stand up and go talk to the pit boss. I'm not drunk, but I'm not sober either.

"Yes, sir?"

yeah - my brother over there? He may be having an allergic reaction.

"What? Do you want me to call a doctor or the ambulance???"

No, no, no, God no. I just want to ask - do you have an Epi-Pen in case we need it?

"An Epi-Pen? Let me call a doctor now, sir!"

No, please, no, don't do that right now. Please lower your voice.

Too late. Layup found out what I was doing.

"What the F? I'm fine. Did you just ask her for an Epi-Pen?"

Well, yes, just to be sure.

"I'm fine....Jesus....ok, I'll go get some Benadryl"

Layup comes back with Benadryl - and peanuts and Beef Jerky!

"I'm still hungry from that meal!". He proceeds to open up the package at the table. "Anybody want some?"

Well, I guess, since it's here...sure.....

Layup passes it around, takes some more jerky - oh look, the cards are in front of him! He picks them up.

"Sir! No food at the table, please."

Layup moves his chair 5 feet back, stuffs the jerky in his mouth - and then leans far forward (with the chair away from the table) to check the cards. He mumbles something unintelligently as he lays down his natural 9......

The next 30 minutes was a battle between Layup, the beef jerky, and the pit boss trying to catch Layup in the act of eating.

We all ended the day around 2am - but I was starving after the pork and the alcohol. Time to go get a 3/4 lb burger at the Carnegie deli. Nothing better at 2 in the morning! Shared a few bites with Layup in the room (see Jim Gaffigan - "oh, I'll only have a bite.......MFBDBFDSHGFUISGIUSDG") and tried to sleep with all that in the stomach.

 

I still don't know why the pit boss put up with us.  She should of kicked me out immediately.  Onto the games.  

 

Atl 10 @ NO 24 (-6):  Saints D is elite.  Panthers last week shut down Pitts and with Ridley out, Ryan couldn’t move the ball.  Saints should be able to cover this line.

LV @ Giants +3:  I’m staying away from this game.  Too many distractions for the Raiders.

Pats 17 @ Panthers 22 +3.5: Panthers D can stop the Pats run game.  Pats have been successful when they can run the ball.   I don’t care who is the starting QB for the Panthers. 

Vikings 28 @ Ravens 33 -6:  Hate Kirk Cousins so much after they let me down last week. Ravens will come out focused.  Think both teams will move the ball.

Browns 14 @ Bengals 17 -2.5: I don’t think the lose of OBJ is material.  But Baker is playing like crap.  Bengals just got embarrassed. Like a bounce back from the Bengals, but also think that this could be a Baker statement game.

Bills 33 @ Jaguars 10 +14.5: How is this line not larger?  

Texans 21 @ Dolphins 17 -6.5: They have the same record…Taylor is starting. Love the Texans here.

Broncos 13 @ Cowboys 32-9.5:  Don’t know how the Broncos will score here.

Chargers 24 @ Eagles 28 +1.5:  Herbert is dinged up.  Chargers run D is being exposed.  Eagles can run the ball effectively.   Like the Eagles here.

Packers @ Chiefs -7:  What a crap performance by the Chiefs on Monday night.  Packers are in turmoil. Wiz loves the Chiefs here, where I like the Packers here.   

Cardinals 21 @ 49ers 24 +1.5:  Even if Murray plays, he is definitely injured.  He’s a different QB when he is dinged.  I’ll take the home dog in this divisional matchup  

Titans 35 @ Rams 42 -7.5:  Track meet here.  Rams will roll over the Titans secondary.  Titans will just chuck it, which will result in turnovers or Titans scoring.

Bears 16 @ Steelers 14 -6:  I don’t like this Steelers team on offense.  They will score between 14-20 points.  So I don’t need that much offense from the Bears to cover. 

 

Best Bets  50-57-1

Ravens Over

Chargers Over

Titans Over

Panthers

Ravens

Eagles

49ers

Bears

Texans

Bills

Saints

 

 

Supercontest: 15-23-2

Ravens

Chiefs

Panthers

Bears

49ers

No comments: