Nov 30, 2014

NFL Week 13: Golfing

Well, here we are couting down the days to our imepding departure from Guangzhou. With this comes the inevitable list of "final" things I will be doing in China. Today was my final round of golf in China (at least for a long while). My friend Mike set up the round at Mission Hills and even though I hacked, it was a great time.
.

What are the lasting memories of golfing in China? I'll take home a few! In no particular order:
.
1. The caddies. Hoo boy, I could go on and on about them. Caddies are ever-present in the golf rouds in China; you can't walk by yourself on a course- you are required to takea  cart, adn with a cart comes a caddy. They are glorified trap-rakers. I'm sorry, but it's true.

I have a reputation here in the ex-pat group of being - shall we say- gruff with our caddies. And I can't deny that! I've had my fill of caddies that:
a. Can't read greens; they will go ahead (without telling you) of reading the putt and then lining up the ball on the intended "line"; this line has a margin of error of about 2 feet either way. .
Caddies have lined it up straight in the hole and then say "ooh, break right lot!"; they will also line up an 8 footer 1 foot left of the hole on a slightly rolling putt. .
b. Have no etiquette. Man oh man, I blew up at one who jiggled the clubs in the bag just as I was taking the club back. (I think my frirend paid her to do that). They talk constantly in your backswing; they will step on your line on the green, and they will tell you a putt is "downhill" just as you are taking the club back.  .
c. Have no tact. I just smile now when I hit a bad shot, a hook that goes over the trees and out of bounds - and then, 3 seconds after the ball disappears, they say "O.B.". Really, Sherlock?
.

I forgot to inquire if I could get a caddy helmet to take back with me; that's one thing I'll try to do in the next 3 weeks.
.

2. The courses: the courses we play on could be described as "advanced" layouts; there are some really nice holes, some strategic risk/reward holes that really make you think. It's a great challenge for a 10-15 handicap and better.
.
Problem is, there aren't that many of those in China. You miss the fairway, that's it - it's gone. The courses make a fortune in golf balls since so many are lost.
.

3. The routine........there is no procedure of hitting balls before the round. That's unheard of. You show up, head to the locker room, enjoy a pre-round smoke (if you are a native), find your caddy and head to the tee. After the round - due to the oppresive humidity - you have to take a shower and have lunch. Lunch is not quick. So a 4 1/2 hr round becomes 6, 6 1/2 hours, not including the 2 1/2 hours of travel time. I won't miss that at all.
 .
The golf here is solely for the time to get away from it all with friends- it's not a place to get serious and improve. (At least that is what I will tell myself afer 4 years of poor golfing here).
.

What a big game for the Browns coming up - and a big weekend for the AFC. So many teams in the mix here.....the Browns just need to keep focused and play one game at a time. I feel good about this game in Buffalo - I don't think Orton will have much success in our secondary, so it's up to our run defense. Let's hope they come through.
.
To the games:

Bal 27, SD 13. Can't see how the banged up Chargers move against the front 7 of the Ravens.
.

Ten 24, Hou 20. Zach is getting better at QB for the Titans, and the Houston offense is now a mess.
.

Ind 30, Was 20. I think Colt will score more that 17 for the Skins, ut it's not even close to enough in Indy.
.

NYG 20, Jax 17. I still believe Jax has a full-game defensive effort in them at some point - if it is here, then Eli will throw 3 interceptions.
.

Min 27, Car 13. Carolina in imploding, and Teddy and the Vikes play well at home. 
.

Pit 28, NO 24. Anything can happen here. I could see Brees lighting it up against the weak Steelers secondary. 
.

StL 23, Oak 10. Oakland is a little bit fat and sassy after their win, and the St Louis defense will eat the Raiders' line alive. 
.

TB 23, Cin 17. The Bengals' 3rd road game in a row, and the Bucs' offense is slowly improving. 
.

Az 27, Atl 20. Don't understand this line. How are teh Cards not a favorite? The Falcons offense is weak. 
.

GB 27, NE 24. One of these teams will decide to slow down the game with the run - it will probably be the Pats. Can't pick a winner here. 
.

Den 28, KC 17.  I just don't see the Chiefs having the offensive firepower needed vs. Manning. 
.

Mia 27, NYJ 16.  Is this, again, too easy? Geno is back for the Jets vs a team that really needs the win.

.
Best bets: 13 of them: Last week: 5-8; overall: 72-94-3. God, I hope none of you are tailing me.
.
SF -1 (Thu - already 0-1 on the week)
Bal -6 1/2
SD/Bal under 46
Ten +7
NYG/Jax under 44 1/2
Min -2 1/2
StL -6 1/2
Oak/StL under 42
TB +3 1/2
Az -1 1/2
NE/GB under 58
Den -1
Mia -6 1/2
.

Supercontest: Last week: 1-4. Overall: 33-27
SF -1 (Loss)
Ten +6 1/2
Min -2 1/2
TB +3 1/2
Az -2 1/2


No comments: