Sep 21, 2014

NFL Week 3: Money

Money is a strange subject in China. At first glance, you see that China is a communist country - so money would not be very important (or blatent) in this culture. And you would be so wrong.

Here is a sign I saw on one of the cubicles at work - from a local - that sums up the attitude of most Chinese I know. People here believe that money truly can bring happiness. At the very least, the possession of money is important and needs to be flaunted at every possible opportunity.

The questions we get about money are much transparent and "prying" than they are in the States. "How much do you make" is a question I have heard numerous times while interviewing people out of school. In fact, I signed up for the P&G team to run the half-marathon in Guangzhou in November. The application form asked for my blood type (I should know, but I don't) and my salary. WTF?

But the most shocking part of the culture is the fact that you have to appear to have money. That's why the demand for brand-name designer clothes is insatiable - the buyer and then show it off and impress their family and friends. Locals would not be caught dead in second-hand goods. I may have shared this story before - three years ago, Janice's boss left Guangzhou for Singapore, and had a "moving" sale for all sorts of furniture in his house. He made up a 10 page Word doc with pictures of all the stuff he was selling, and passed it around work. The only people to inquire back to him about buying stuff were....other ex-pats. It is beneath the dignity of the Chinese to buy something second hand. It smacks of poverty.

(we got a nice bunk bed out of it!)

This attitude of flaunting wealth carries over to travel, as well. We (our ex-pat lunch group) are convinced that the Chinese travel boom is not because they want to see the sights of the world.....it's so they can say they have seen the sights. That's why they take all sorts of pictures of themselves during vacation - so they can show people they have the money to actually visit this place. See? I'm here! You have to believe me! See, I have money?

They certainly do not vacation to experience the local culture and cuisine, as admitted by Xi Jinping recently.

The relationship between the Chinese and money is fascinating....sort of like the relationship between an NFL team and a good QB. If you have one, you better flaunt it, because in today's NFL, a good QB will bring you success.

Do we have a good (or decent) QB in Cleveland? Well, a game winning FG drive starting from the 4 certainly made me happy last week. Let's see if Hoyer can perform about as well against a much tougher Ravens D.......

On to the games:

SD 26, Buf 23. Both teams could suffer from a letdown; I just feel that I should jump on the chance to get points with the better team.

Cin 20, Ten 17. Ten's run D was awful last week, so they will make the adjustments necessary here and force Dalton to throw. I think Green being dinged up will be an issue, and the Titans may be a classic zig-zag team.

Det 31, GB 24. I am starting to think that the Pack may not be that good - and their D could be 25th or worse. Det moved the ball last week against Car (with nothing to show for it).

Ind 27, Jax 24. Jax can't be as bad as they looked in the last 6 quarters....and the Colts are extremely one-dimensional.

NE 24, Oak 13.  Not sold on the greatness of the Pats just yet. The Vikes gave them 14 points last week (on an INT and a blocked FG), and I'm buying the raiders low here.

NYG 23, Hou 17. Gulp. But the Giants moved the ball last week, and Houston hasn't played anybody.

Phi 26, Was 24. Yes, I'm buying the opinion of the Skins O being much better with Cousins vs. RG III. And Philly will pay for their first-half doldrums sooner or later.....Was can rush the QB, which will mitigate the Philly O.

Dal 27, StL 17. So I'm supposed to think StL is decent after beating the Bucs? How was Tampa on Thursday? I know this is an obvious trap, but I can't help it.....

Az 21, SF 20. Gone round and round on this game. I guess I need to see Colin Kaepernick win a game vs. a good defense before I feel comfortable picking him on the road.

Mia 23, KC 16. I think Miami uses the heat to its advantage well, and will control the lines. What O weapons does KC have ?

Sea 27, Den 24. I expect an instant classic of a game here. Two teams desperate for a win.

Pit 19, Car 16.  I know, this makes no sense, as Carolina is the much better team, but Pittsburgh is desperate and will pull out trick plays and exotic blitzes to stay in the game.

NYJ 24, Chi 20. Who know what the health of the Bears' receivers will be at game time? I was surprised the Jets scored in the 20s at Green Bay.

Best bets: 14 of them. Last week: 10-6, overall: 15-15-1

SD +1 1/2
Ten +6 1/2
Det -2 1/2
Jax +7
Ind/Jax over 45 1/2
Oak +14
Oak/NE under 47
Min/NO over 49
NYG -1 1/2
Was +6
Dal -1
Mia -3 1/2
Pit +3
Pit/Car under 42

Supercontest: Last week: 5-0!!! The holy grail! Season: 6-4.

Ten +6 1/2
Det -2 1/2
NYG +2
Dal -1 1/2
Mia -4 1/2


 

No comments: