Sep 7, 2014

NFL Week 1: The Playground



Hello everyone! We are live from the Venetian in Macau for Week 1 of the 2014 NFL season. Spending a 3-day weekend in Hong Kong and Macau with Mike A - otherwise known to some as "Why Not 5" - and others. A Morton's dinner is on tap for later tonight (I will sign the check as Mr. Steve Wieczynski to see if he has an account on file. After that, gambling and then kickoff at 1 am my time.

As many of you know, this will most probably be my last NFL season in China. Details are still being worked out for our trip home - I could be back in time for the home playoff game between the 2014 AFC North Champions Cleveland Browns hosting the wild card Denver Broncos; but nothing is set in stone yet. For the theme this year, we will be focusing on pictures I have that represent the experiences of China. These could be pictures of our family interacting with the Chinese, or just some random pictures I took in the street of daily life. I have a lot of pictures on my phone that I don't think I have published, and this is a good way to share 17 of them.


We start Week 1 with the playground. I don't think I have shared this yet. THis picture was taken in November, 2010, three months into our stint here. The "new"ness had worn off and we were still trying to comprenhend life here. We had been told numberous times that life as an ex-pat in China is like life in a fishbowl. Chinese, especially those from the rural areas, will be fascinated by the "white people" they see from Ohio. We saw it a lot for the first month or two - but life was such a blur for us then we didn;t really notice it. I think this photo is when it hit home.


We traveled to a public playground on the main island in the city - Er Sha - which is very crowded and diverse. Here's Freddie and Warren playing around - and there's a Chinese lady, camera at the ready, taking pictures of them. For what reason? Just to have and say "I saw them! They really do exist!" I had to snap this picture to capture the fascination that the Chinese had - and still have! - on foreigners.


It happened even today at lunch, someone came up to our group and took a picture. This was the first time I realized that the fishbowl would not end here in China.


Kind of like how Johnny Manziel feels in his new city and career! Maybe JFF should head over to China to see how life really is when you are constantly in the spotlight - good training for the 24-hour meaningless ESPN coverage.

(they do realize he is not starting, correct?)

On to the games!
NO 31, Atl 24. I can't help it. I know it's a trap, and I will willingly take the Saints. They have more talent - this is the obvious pick....

StL 24, Min 21. Not sure what's going to happen here. Unsure of Cassel at QB, and I think Hill will be OK running Stl's offense with the conservative Fisher.

Cle 24, Pit 0. Twenty five years ago, the Browns went to Pittsburgh for the opener with a new coach and a QB that got hurt the year before and missed the last half of the season....and this happened. I will suffer for just 50% of that beatdown this year.



Phi 34, Jax 27 - A gut feel here. Bradley had the Jags playing well late last year, and he is defensive coach that should be able to help stop Philly a bit with all this time to plan.

NYJ 23, Oak 13. I think Rex Ryan and the Jets' D will be able to handle a rookie QB at home. Oak turnovers will give the Jets the ball in good field position several times.

Bal 19, Cin 17. Two offensive coordiantors that love to run and eat clock - should be a low scoring game, with the Ravens finding home magic again.

Chi 31, Buf 17. Again, too easy, but I am sooooo impressed with the Bears' offense.

Hou 27, Was 20. Anything can happen in this game - but I like Romeo, Watt and Clowney vs. the shaky Washington O.

KC 24, Ten 13. Kansas City still has a good defense, right? They should shut down the Titans.

NE 30, Mia 27. Mia's improved O line will allow them to score vs.the Pats, but it's hard to see NE lose this with Brady and his weapons. Love to see a shootout here.

Car 23, TB 17. I don't get the Tampa love. What has Josh McCown done? Are we sure Doug Martin is good? Isn't Carolina's D still elite? I know Cam is banged up, but I have faith in Derek Anderson (cough).


Dal 33, SF 30. Dal's weakness is Pass D, and I don't think SF can fully take advantage of that. And Dallas may be playing desperate from the get go in week 1. Love the home dog with the upset here.

Den 34, Ind 23. Den rang up 49 on the Ravens last year in primetime week 1, and the Colts D is not better than the Ravens.

NYG 27, Det 24. Coughlin vs. Caldwell - who ya got? I know the Giants looked horrible, but I have to believe that COughlin will use all sorts of schemes to neutralize Megatron.


Az 23, SD 20. This is the game where I have no idea what will happen. Is either team a mirage - or both? Is Arizona's defense still elite? Will Rivers play ot his form last year, or 2013? Who knows....we will learn a lot from this game.

Best bets: 15 of them.

To recap:
 
Last year: 127-122-6

Overall, 6 years: 1002-916-57

NO -3

Jax +10 1/2

Jax/Phi over 51 1/2

NYJ -5

Cin/Bal under 42 1/2

Chi -6 1/2

Hou -3

KC -3

Ten/KC under 44

NE/Mia over 46 1/2

Car +2 1/2

Dal +3 1/2

SF/Dal over 51

Den -7 1/2

NYG +6 1/2


Supercontest: here we go again! The 5 picks:

Jax +10 1/2

NYJ -5 1/2

Dal +4 1/2

Car +2

NYG +5 1/2

No comments: